Don't know how to tell parents :\

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know how to tell parents :\

So, I recently just got together with my girlfriend, she's 21 and I'm 18. She lives all the way in New Jersey, while I live in Oregon, but I'm in Washington for Job Corps. I've brought up the subject of me being "bi-curious" to my mom when I was like, 12, but ever since then I haven't said anything about it. Melissa (my girlfriend) is the second girl I've been with. I seem to be finding myself more attracted to females now than I am to guys, I'm not attracted to guys really, at all anymore. I haven't told my mom that neither. I don't know how.. on top of that, my girlfriend is black; and my mom also doesn't believe in black and white relationships. I don't like keeping it from her, but I'm not quit sure what to do at this moment? Me and my girlfriend BOTH want to be together, for a very very long time. In December she's going to help me go see her. I'm super excited..but what do I do about my mom? My girlfriend and I would also like to get an apt. together, she already told me to start looking. Oh & we've been talking for 8 months, today ♥ I really like her, a lot. I don't want to leave her just because of my moms beliefs. But I need to tell my mom. Help?
    Rona A.
    &
    Tiffanee C.

Together since | x3.29.2014- ♥
    Met online | x3.22.2014 - Met at | Whisper (app)
    Met in person | x4.22.2014 - Met in | Lincoln City, OR
    Moved in together | Jun. of 2013

here is what i would do if it was me..since you are 18 and an adult now...you need to just sit down...or call your mom...and just be honest and tell her...straight out...don't worry so much about her acceptance...you just need to get it out there...and off your chest...your mom should be understanding that it is your life...and she should be happy because you are happy...it's your life...and just because she or others don't believe in same sex relationships for interracial relationships...doesn't mean that you don't...be nice...but be direct...honesty is always the best way...good luck...let us know how it goes

Comment

Thank you :], I will try. The other thing is, I have to do it over the phone, not in person :\
      Rona A.
      &
      Tiffanee C.

Comment

One of the hardest things I had to do was tell my mum I was dating a girl! Growing up being a dancer I had a lot of friends who were gay and it never even occurred to me. She had a gay boss, gay friends and when I told her she didn't speak to me for a week. She has spent time with my partner and is coming around it just so happens that my partner is leaving for a year which is annoying.
        You do just have to tell her the truth and understand that her views for you will have been different to this and it's hard to change 18 years of planning. She may be thinking of grandchildren, big weddings with a man and things like that. So just explain to her that you're happy and this wasn't a decision taken lightly. She's your mum and loves you and will eventually be okay with it
        I've been there so you can talk to me anytime xx

Comment

Originally posted by Bramo View Post
          One of the hardest things I had to do was tell my mum I was dating a girl! Growing up being a dancer I had a lot of friends who were gay and it never even occurred to me. She had a gay boss, gay friends and when I told her she didn't speak to me for a week. She has spent time with my partner and is coming around it just so happens that my partner is leaving for a year which is annoying.
          You do just have to tell her the truth and understand that her views for you will have been different to this and it's hard to change 18 years of planning. She may be thinking of grandchildren, big weddings with a man and things like that. So just explain to her that you're happy and this wasn't a decision taken lightly. She's your mum and loves you and will eventually be okay with it
          I've been there so you can talk to me anytime xx
          Thank you :] I have to tell her over the phone.. which is even more hard :\
          Rona A.
          &
          Tiffanee C.

Comment

Just give her time to process it and don't push it with her and I'm sure she will come around!

Comment

Is telling her over Skype or other forms of video messaging a possibility? I wish I had advice to give, but my mom took it well when I came out XP.

Comment

Working...
              X