F-Word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-Word?

How do you guys feel about the word "faggot" ? My SO has a friend who uses it in a negative context, usually when either one of his friends are being "soft" Personally it boils at me, I think it's disrespectful and so negative and harsh. Regarding the bloke though, I try to keep my distance as much as possible. Not give him any trouble or try not to think about it as long as I am nowhere near him and hearing it.

But how do you guys feel upon hearing this word?

I can't imagine anyone is going to respond to this thread saying the love the word. Some might be indifferent but its like asking about the N word, they will never be viewed as positive.

Comment

No I don't like the word at all....Although here in the UK it's a food...Mr Brains faggots....made out of pork....they look like balls in a gravy......

Started Writing - February 2010
      First Visit - September 2010
      Second Visit - June 2011
      Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
      Our Wedding Day - April 2012
      Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
      NOA1 - July 2012
      NOA2 - December 2012
      Fourth Visit - December 2012
      Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by Oldblighty View Post
        No I don't like the word at all....Although here in the UK it's a food...Mr Brains faggots....made out of pork....they look like balls in a gravy......
        Also a common word for cigarettes!

Comment

Originally posted by jleec24 View Post
          Also a common word for cigarettes!
          Yea but its just fag, you don't smoke a faggot.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
            Yea but its just fag, you don't smoke a faggot.
            Indeed......lol! I remember the looks I got when I said I was going outside for a fag in the states.......

Started Writing - February 2010
            First Visit - September 2010
            Second Visit - June 2011
            Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
            Our Wedding Day - April 2012
            Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
            NOA1 - July 2012
            NOA2 - December 2012
            Fourth Visit - December 2012
            Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

I hate the word. It's SO disrespectful and degrading.

Comment

If I recall, South Park redefined the word to mean...those loud ass 'fags' who ride Harley's up and down the street like they are cool...lol!

But in reality, I don't particularly care for the word. Its not really in my vocab.
                "You want for myself
                You get me like no one else
                I am beautiful with you

I am beautiful with you
                Even in the darkest part of me
                I am beautiful with you
                Make it feel the way it's supposed to be
                You're here with me
                Just show me this and I'll believe
                I am beautiful with you"

-Halestorm

Comment

Indeed......lol! I remember the looks I got when I said I was going outside for a fag in the states.......
                  My friend did the same thing, really loudly, in the middle of a lab class. The whole class were in hysterics lol My SO saw those Mr Porky's Faggots too in Tesco and almost had a heart attack. No one uses that word for that meaning in the UK.

Over here, I hate it though. Because it is usually said with so much hate and venom. My SO's work colleague says it... I hate it. It makes my skin crawl.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                  <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                  The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                  <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                  <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                  Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                  Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think it all depends on tone and context, it's like how girls are calling each other bitches and hoes today, if people know you aren't meaning to be hurtful by it then it doesn't matter.

Notes:
                    Met: 8.17.09
                    Started Dating: 8.20.09
                    First Met: 10.2.10
                    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

It's not really used over here, though I do think it's a terrible word. I guess it's in a way comparable to how people here use the Dutch word for 'cancer' as the ultimate swearword. Having lost a close family member of this disease, it just makes me shiver every time. And when you comment on it, all they have to say is that they don't mean it in a bad way, or that they don't use it as the actual disease. Yeah right. So disrespectful... I guess every language and culture has their words like that, unfortunately there's not much you can do about it. Just ignoring it and thinking that they don't know what they're saying, or how such a word can impact other people, usually works best.

Comment

When my SO was here one time, my dad said he was going outside for a fag. My SO (being canadian) looked so confused, and asked me about it afterwards, he never realised that its what we call cigarettes!

To be honest, the word doesnt bother me. I never use it, and i rarely hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanahtas View Post
                          When my SO was here one time, my dad said he was going outside for a fag. My SO (being canadian) looked so confused, and asked me about it afterwards, he never realised that its what we call cigarettes!

To be honest, the word doesnt bother me. I never use it, and i rarely hear it.
                          'Fag' is used as a synonym of cigarette as well in Australia . My dad uses that word a lot.

I don't really say the word 'Faggot', but I wouldn't care if I heard the word. If somebody tries to use it as an insult towards myself, I don't take it seriously.

Comment

Haha! Im from the US and definitely would have stared in confusion if someone said they were gonna smoke a fag. Smoke is slang for kill (usually with a gun) so that would just freak me out and leave me scratching my head. I don't use the word 'fag' and I hear it with my guy friends less and less as I get older. I think its inappropriate but I frequently use the word 'gay' to describe something overly mushy and loving between my SO and I, so I'm probably just as guilty.

Comment

I don't use it, but it doesn't bother me when I hear it. It's the intent that I care about, not the actual word.
                              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                              X