No announcement yet.

Public affection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SO used to live in Georgia it never stopped us. If people don't like it, they don't have to look at us. lol

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
    Married April 18th, 2015!!
    Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Well I wouldn't group America's close-mindedness as a whole. It would probably depend on the specific state and area your SO was in. Bigger, diverse cities would be more accepting vs. small town places (from what i've seen). My opinion is DO IT. People will never get comfortable with something they aren't accustomed to seeing but sometimes people just dislike PDA in general. However, affection is affection and we have a right to show it (as long as it's not over the top when you're in public xD). If people are comfortable kissing their own dogs then they can seriously get over seeing LGBT couples kiss :P.
      "The Only Heaven I'll Be Sent To,
      Is when I'm Alone With You."

Met: Sometime in 2016
      Started Relationship: August 9, 2017
      First Visit: December 7, 2017
      Closed the distance: February 9, 2018

Comment

Coming from a lesbian that lives in Texas, (let me tell you, of all the places you would be bullied for being gay it would probably be Texas) I can tell you me and my GF have never had a problem with other people. We've pecked lips, held hands, hugged, snuggled in the theater, etc. in public and never had any sort of confrontation. There's been the occasional ugly look, or whisper behind our backs, or even the disgusting pervert men whistling at us like we're advertising ourselves for sex. However none of that has ever been bothersome. It has always been something we laughed at. So I wouldn't be too concerned. People are going to judge, but most of them have enough couth to keep it to themselves.

Comment

My SO is originally from Florida and I am from Indiana. In the beginning of our relationship we were nervous about showing affection, but now we don't care what people think. If I feel like kissing her at any moment I am going to do that. Before she moved over 2000 miles away, we always showed a lot of public affection to each other. It usually meant walking hand in hand when we were out, which is considered acceptable behavior among straight people. Although same sex marriage is legal in my state, it is conservative overall. I have had people stare at us, mock us, and say cruel things, and of course, the disgusting men who act like they are getting off on it. While people can be cruel, I think you should live for yourself and not give a damn what people think.
          Last edited by sensitivesoul; March 23, 2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I'm also really nervous about PDA when I go over to America. My girlfriend lives in Utah, so highly religious. As much as I don't care about people saying things, she has to live here after I've left and I don't want to make her uncomfortable. We haven't got around to making it public (on her Facebook) yet, so I'll let her be the judge of PDA.
            60 days until i fly to texas.
            6th august 2017 - the day i made you mine.

Comment

Is it really important to be public on Facebook? My SO and I have no couple's pictures on Facebook, but have met each other's friends and family in real life. If we've each met friends and family, I personally don't think Facebook is that important. Her friends and family know that we're dating, and my friends and family know that I'm dating her. :shrugs:

Comment

No, not at all. I just mean we haven't gone public yet to anybody in her family except her parents and sister. Most of her family are pretty homophobic, and we don't know how her friends are all going to react, being relgious.. Both of our immediate families are supportive, so that's all that matters.
                60 days until i fly to texas.
                6th august 2017 - the day i made you mine.

Comment

That's awesome that her parents and sister are accepting. I learned early on that when I came out, I saw who my real friends were. Those who didn't accept me were not my true friends. I wouldn't let other people's reactions dictate to me about PDA, though. I go with what feels comfortable to me, and what my partner is comfortable with. We hold hands and/or hug sometimes in public. Sometimes we don't. When we were brand new and just started dating, we didn't hold hands in public. We each learned what the other is comfortable with.

Comment

For me as long as it's legal you will probably want to hold your SOs hand all the time lol. In the US I don't think I would mind because I would just be so happy to be with my SO nobody else would matter. Since my SO is living in UAE at the moment any PDA could lead to Jail time or deportation D: No matter where I am I would never Make-out in public or anything but it is nice to hold hands because the most frustrating part of an LDR is missing that Physical contact no matter how small it is.

Comment

Ok so I'm not in a same-sex relationship, obviously hahah. But I have a... very affectionate relationship with my best friend. We hold hands and give little kisses and act like a couple a lot when we're in public. I show the exact amount of affection with her that I'm comfortable sharing with my fiance in public, I've never felt nervous about it at all. It's part of who I am, why hide it? I've never gotten any bad reactions from people, not even cat-calling (though I'm sure it happens a lot) But honestly, as much as I hate it, society is a lot more accepting of feminine lesbians than any other LGBT couple, since its so fetishized.
                      "You let me in your heart and out of my head."

Comment

The only reason we've ever been anxious about showing affection in public is because my SO is a future elementary school teacher. We don't care too much about what people think otherwise. We're in Georgia where I don't think there are laws against firing someone because of orientation (but don't quote me on that.)

Comment

I am from Seattle. Within Washington, it really really depends on which side of the Cascade mountains you are on. The East side is historically very conservative voting-wise. The West side (Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia) is very liberal (by US standards). PDA by same sex couples in Seattle, Olympia or Bellingham wouldn't attract attention. In small towns in Eastern Washington, it would attract negative attention. Still, I think sentiments and attitudes are still evolving, and the new normal (same sex marriage legal throughout the US per the Supreme Court Ruling) will soon just be part of everyday life, rather than something unusual. Welcome to Washington, btw!

Comment

Working...
                          X