How to be a good friend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to be a good friend?

Hey there, I hope writing in this section of the forum is okay even if it doesnt involve myself! It's just the first place that came to my mind to talk about a certain friend of mine, hope you dont mind it!

So, i'm a 22yo girl and i'm in a ldr with my bf etc, but as i mentioned this topic isnt about me and my bf.
    There this friend of mine that this morning texted me and revealed his homosexuality. i was quite surprised cos he texted me really early in the morning and as he didnt say it 'straight away' for the first couple of minutes i had some troubles in understanding if that was what he was really meaning.
    He is 23yo, ive known him for 9 years and even if we dont get to meet THAT often, we do meet constantly and he is one of my closest friends.
    Needless to say I felt flattered he told me about it, i think one of the first people who talked to about it and again, needless to say, i'm absolutely okay with who he is, he is one of my best friends, both if he likes girls and if he likes boys.

He asked me to meet him in few hours to spend the afternoon and the evening together so we can have a talk, and again, im really happy he asked me to, it means he trusts me and im willing to support him.

So my question is.. is there anything i could do to make him feel good and 'accepted'? I had the feeling it was a really tough step for him to take, and if theres anything i can do to make him feel supported, im willing to do it. it's just all a bit new to me so im scared to do or say something bad unconsciously.

This is easy. Don't do anything different than you are already doing. Be his friend, however he needs you to be. So the topics might be a little different on occasion when he comes to you to vent about something, but he hasn't changed and he likely needs you to just keep on keeping on.

2 of my closest friends from high school (twin sisters!) came out not long after we graduated and the only thing that changed is we started going to more gay clubs, which were way more fun that straight ones And instead of teasing them about guys, I teased them about their girl crushes. All they needed was for me to accept them and love them. Which I did, and still do. There's no magic trick.

Comment

Thank you, Blankita
      It went much better than any other meeting i ve ever had with him and possibly one of the best talk we've ever had. I met some of his friends that supported him about his 'coming out' and i had a really good time with them too. I probably still have to get a bit used to this change but i guess thats normal, and im absolutely happy for him and our friendship too!

Comment

Working...
      X