Trouble Continuing Relationship with Amazing Bulgarian Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Continuing Relationship with Amazing Bulgarian Guy

Hi, this is my first post here, I am kind of bummed out, and had nowhere to turn.

I am in a long-distance relationship with an amazing guy. He's from Bulgaria, I live on the East Coast in the USA. I have lived in Europe before, but when I was a kid, awhile back, and have visited Europe since then, but not Bulgaria. We've been together over one and a half years, when he had come here to work for 6 months.

It's been the best relationship, and the most important to me, that I've ever had. I love him, and I know he loves me too, and I am pretty sure this relationship is very defining for the both of us. He had to leave after his first internship, but we stayed together, and he came back for his second internship-- another half-year. It was the best summer of his life, he told me, and it was mine, too.

Then, he was going to come for a year, but just last week his agency in Bulgaria ruled it out, as he didn't have a proper degree (he got his BA, but not in the right category to internship again there, unless he waits a year and does it while he pursues his MA degree).

I was heartbroken. He was really upset... now I am seriously thinking of working over there for a year, but I need to get a TEFL certification first, and I only have an Associate's degree, so that might make it harder. I don't know what to do, we both want to continue this amazing relationship, but I am really struggling to find ways I can get over there, and be able to be with him or even vice-versa (though that looks impossible for the next 12 months).

Please, does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone gone to work in Eastern Europe, and what did you need to do beforehand? How long did the preparation take?

I would really, really, appreciate it. I have been upset the last few days, trying to struggle to find a way to go on...
    Last edited by Enchiridion; February 1, 2015, 06:03 PM. Reason: mistake

You have been very lucky in the first place because he was able to come to work where you live. If you know which kind of certification you will need to go to his country to work, that might be an option. However, I seriously think you should visit him in his country before making such a decition. Also, look into what kind of language skills you would need to work here. A year is a good time span to plan living and working in another country - if you can start with a visit, look into language and other qualifications now, it will be a reasonable ammount of time.

We are currently looking into the possabilities for SO coming here to work temorarily or steady, then he definetly would have to learn my language and possably consider taking exams to get his education approved.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
      You have been very lucky in the first place because he was able to come to work where you live. If you know which kind of certification you will need to go to his country to work, that might be an option. However, I seriously think you should visit him in his country before making such a decition. Also, look into what kind of language skills you would need to work here. A year is a good time span to plan living and working in another country - if you can start with a visit, look into language and other qualifications now, it will be a reasonable ammount of time.

We are currently looking into the possabilities for SO coming here to work temorarily or steady, then he definetly would have to learn my language and possably consider taking exams to get his education approved.
      Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes, I forgot to say, I am visiting him in mid-April. As far as the language skills, I know basic Bulgarian, when we started our relationship I began studying it. I am not fluent, but just know basics. The job requirements that I have seen using TEFL are full-immersion English classes, so they said "there is no need to be fluent in Bulgarian".

A year is a long time for preparation, I am supposed to get a call from the TEFL headquarters tomorrow, so then perhaps I can know more about a timeframe. As far as I know this is the best option I have, but if anyone knows any other options to consider, I would really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
      X