LDR Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR Woes

Hi. I copied this over from the regular LDR forum. I am new here and not sure where to post! Since I am gay, I thought it might be more appropriate here.
    ----------

Hello! I am new here as you might see. I have some concerns about my LDR that I would like to share, and hopefully get some advice. First, a little background:

My boyfriend and I met on a social media site called MeetMe. It really happened by chance; I was using the advanced setting to browse profiles and his really caught my eye. I sent him a message, not really expecting much to come out of it. We exchanged our kik (a texting app) usernames, and the rest is really history. From that day forward, we texted pretty much all the time, and I would say it was only a few days before we started speaking on Skype (no video chat-- this is will be important later). He is 21, and I am 19. We are both in college. We Skype/phone every single day.

Things have been going great, feeling like we've known each other forever. He is sweet, and so very kind. He is the type of guy I've always dreamed about ending up with, and sometimes I STILL think it's so crazy that he is as good-looking as he is, and has a real man type of personality (I am gay by the way, m/m relationship). Since we started our long term relationship, we've had moments talking about the great things we will do together, and how we wish we were in one another's presence-- all that sweet stuff, the stuff that makes these kinds of relationships hard.

Recently, we got into a bit of an argument, one with more intensity than any of the other petty things we've bickered about. As we head into July, we will have been dating for 7 months. Since about February I've been wanting to meet him in person, and I thought he wanted the same with the way he was talking. Holiday break back in December wouldn't have worked because it was "too short," and I concluded the same. Our Spring breaks did not line up. So the only logical time was in the present, over the summer months when we knew we wouldn't be busy with much. I decided not to take classes or work my campus job because I have been so set on going to Las Vegas to meet him. The whole problem started when I told him I was worried that he wasn't going to want me to come visit. In about March, whenever I would bring it up, he would be silent or say, "Yeah..." in a kind of sarcastic way. I really didn't think much of it until he explicitly told me then he wasn't sure about it, during an exchange where I wanted to know why he was acting like that. And my worries were only confirmed when he started to tell me we he thought we needed to slow down.

Understandable. My main dilemma, however, is feeling like I've been misled, and I don't know whether or not that is warranted with the way he responded. We could do all the things we talked about: cuddling, going out on dates, etc. if I just came this summer. He told me that we can do those in the future, and he wants to, but he doesn't feel ready for me to visit. I have a very hard time understanding this logic. If I did not visit this summer, the next feasible time (unless we decide otherwise) won't be until it is summer again in a year, since we will both be taking classes in the fall and spring. He doesn't really seem to understand that, but when I ask the big W -- "WHEN then?" he just tells me he doesn't know.

Again, I feel like I've not only been misled, but I am unbelievably perplexed that he refuses to take steps so that we CAN do the things I THOUGHT we BOTH wanted to do. Four times in the argument, he self-defeated, saying things like, "Yep, I know I'm the bad guy. I'm the bad boyfriend," and, "Why don't you just leave me if you're feeling that way," etc. but I feel that is SO complicated. I might venture to say I'm in LOVE with this guy, but this situation is leaving me with really conflicting feelings. I understand I am young, but I really don't see myself loving anyone like I love this guy.

About the Skype: I presented my issues with this also during the argument. I have not video chatted my boyfriend since December. It has always just been audio on Skype, or one of his phones (house phone/cellphone). I do have several pictures and videos, even, of him, but I have yet to video chat. That has me really frustrated as well, but he continues to chock it up to the fact that his current cable/internet package (something like that) is at $60, which is a steal. He doesn't want to upgrade because he might lose that. Now, if he wasn't as well off as he is, I might understand. But when someone is throwing money way to spend on phones, cables, clothes -- you name it really -- you REALLY start to wonder why they haven't upgraded their plan so they can see their BOYFRIEND on Skype. He didn't have much to say about that, but I can tell you that it is something that bothers me.

A few times, he told me that he thought I wasn't cut out for a long distance relationship. I don't think that's true, though. I just feel as though the steps we could be taking to make distance less painful... he refuses or is extremely reluctant to do.

That was a lot. Thanks for reading. Hope I can get some advice.

Welcome to LDR. I met my SO on meetme (at the time, myyearbook) also. Gay/bi/straight - my advice is the same.

Personally, I always do a short visit the first time I meet someone. I think it's good to do that so that you can get a chance to meet each other and if it doesn't go as planned, you aren't stuck there for a week or more. If it goes well, you can extend your next visit. My SO had tried to come out twice to visit and when he didn't make the trip the second time, I ended the relationship. We got back in touch about 18 months later and we started discussing meeting. Same thing - he's busy, we both have kids and their schedules, etc. Finally, I just booked a flight and said "This is when I arrive. If I am everything you say I am to you, then you will be there to get me. If this has all been really nothing, then don't show. I can find a hotel and rent a car and that will be the end of it with no more chances". He was at the airport and we've been back together for 19 months now. Sometimes you have to force a hand to get your answer but you have to be prepared for the results.

He may have changed his mind about the relationship and that can happen in any relationship, CD or LDR. If that's the case, then he needs to man up and just say so. He needs to quit leading you on and manipulating you. Yes, relationships can have ups and downs that can be worked through but IMHO I don't think this is a good or healthy relationship for you. Maybe it is time to call his bluff and take a step back and tell him that he needs to decide what he really wants.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I guess you have to decide whether or not this is the kind of relationship you want. He could be a great guy and you love him, but if he is making excuses not to meet and saying things that you should just leave him, I would really put some thought into it. I know I could never be with someone that wouldn't take steps to meet or video chat and make excuses.

Comment

That looks kinda fishy from his side... So you have only seen some pictures of him but never live chat? And he doesn't want you to come over for summer? I'm sorry but I would immediately think that this guy is hiding something. Some might say that he's shy or something but I'm one of these people who always assumes the worst. If he really likes you and still wants to be your bf, I just can't imagine why won't he meet you?
        It looks like you've tried to talk to him about these issues but he keeps giving you some made up excuses. I'd say that the guy has some problems with this relationship. He doesn't want to meet you?! That's the part that I'd be worried most about it. I'm sorry but maybe this guy is not a LDR material
        If you would stop talking about coming over and act like you don't care any more- what do you think he would do?
        And maybe.. does his family know that he has a bf? Maybe his family/friends are the reason why he doesn't want you to come?

Comment

Personally, I always do a short visit the first time I meet someone. I think it's good to do that so that you can get a chance to meet each other and if it doesn't go as planned, you aren't stuck there for a week or more. If it goes well, you can extend your next visit. My SO had tried to come out twice to visit and when he didn't make the trip the second time, I ended the relationship. We got back in touch about 18 months later and we started discussing meeting. Same thing - he's busy, we both have kids and their schedules, etc. Finally, I just booked a flight and said "This is when I arrive. If I am everything you say I am to you, then you will be there to get me. If this has all been really nothing, then don't show. I can find a hotel and rent a car and that will be the end of it with no more chances". He was at the airport and we've been back together for 19 months now. Sometimes you have to force a hand to get your answer but you have to be prepared for the results.

He may have changed his mind about the relationship and that can happen in any relationship, CD or LDR. If that's the case, then he needs to man up and just say so. He needs to quit leading you on and manipulating you. Yes, relationships can have ups and downs that can be worked through but IMHO I don't think this is a good or healthy relationship for you. Maybe it is time to call his bluff and take a step back and tell him that he needs to decide what he really wants.
          I do like your ideas, and that really seems like the only option at this point. A short visit would be fine with me, maybe a week... two weeks. It could be shorter than that. I just don't feel like he's even trying to work out ANY time.

I guess you have to decide whether or not this is the kind of relationship you want. He could be a great guy and you love him, but if he is making excuses not to meet and saying things that you should just leave him, I would really put some thought into it. I know I could never be with someone that wouldn't take steps to meet or video chat and make excuses.
          I know, and it is those thoughts I am wrestling with right now.

That looks kinda fishy from his side... So you have only seen some pictures of him but never live chat? And he doesn't want you to come over for summer? I'm sorry but I would immediately think that this guy is hiding something. Some might say that he's shy or something but I'm one of these people who always assumes the worst. If he really likes you and still wants to be your bf, I just can't imagine why won't he meet you?
          It looks like you've tried to talk to him about these issues but he keeps giving you some made up excuses. I'd say that the guy has some problems with this relationship. He doesn't want to meet you?! That's the part that I'd be worried most about it. I'm sorry but maybe this guy is not a LDR material
          If you would stop talking about coming over and act like you don't care any more- what do you think he would do?
          And maybe.. does his family know that he has a bf? Maybe his family/friends are the reason why he doesn't want you to come?
          I have several pictures of him, from when he was younger to present times. He was in the band at his high school, so there are YouTube videos of him with the band. It just seems so silly to me, his reason for not making it so he is ABLE to video chat. I do worry that he is afraid of something, or trying to hide something. I can't really imagine why someone who says he loves me so much would make meeting him this difficult. I did ask him if he was serious about me last night, and he turned it on me: "Are you serious? Are you really asking me that right now. I'm not even going to entertain that." Saying that we are going to do so many things together, we're gonna' have a grand time... things along those lines make someone (me) feel like you're serious about loving me. But when I can't even come to see you? I agree, it is fishy, and it's why I asked what I asked. And that's the response I got. I don't think that is even a wrong question for me to ask.

If I acted like I didn't care anymore and stopped asking... I'm not so sure. He seemed happier when I didn't bring this up. There were a couple times where he told me "I don't know." and I left it at that. But I didn't want to do that this time. It's like having the good ol' elephant in the room but you can't tell anyone that, or you will be crucified. He might eventually say, "Okay, I'm ready for you to come!" but I honestly don't think he would say something like that unless I reminded him that this is still something that is important to me. His family DOES know he has a bf, and he is out to everyone in the family. I don't know much about his friends; some of them are friends from high school who he texts a lot (some including guys who have had crushes on him, but he swears he is not entertaining their tricks, but that is a WHOLE 'nother can of worms), and I haven't very much about his friends on his campus. I know that some of his friends know about me, and they are happy for him.

Comment

Originally posted by pendragon View Post
            I do like your ideas, and that really seems like the only option at this point. A short visit would be fine with me, maybe a week... two weeks. It could be shorter than that. I just don't feel like he's even trying to work out ANY time.

I have several pictures of him, from when he was younger to present times. He was in the band at his high school, so there are YouTube videos of him with the band. It just seems so silly to me, his reason for not making it so he is ABLE to video chat. I do worry that he is afraid of something, or trying to hide something. I can't really imagine why someone who says he loves me so much would make meeting him this difficult. I did ask him if he was serious about me last night, and he turned it on me: "Are you serious? Are you really asking me that right now. I'm not even going to entertain that." Saying that we are going to do so many things together, we're gonna' have a grand time... things along those lines make someone (me) feel like you're serious about loving me. But when I can't even come to see you? I agree, it is fishy, and it's why I asked what I asked. And that's the response I got. I don't think that is even a wrong question for me to ask.

If I acted like I didn't care anymore and stopped asking... I'm not so sure. He seemed happier when I didn't bring this up. There were a couple times where he told me "I don't know." and I left it at that. But I didn't want to do that this time. It's like having the good ol' elephant in the room but you can't tell anyone that, or you will be crucified. He might eventually say, "Okay, I'm ready for you to come!" but I honestly don't think he would say something like that unless I reminded him that this is still something that is important to me. His family DOES know he has a bf, and he is out to everyone in the family. I don't know much about his friends; some of them are friends from high school who he texts a lot (some including guys who have had crushes on him, but he swears he is not entertaining their tricks, but that is a WHOLE 'nother can of worms), and I haven't very much about his friends on his campus. I know that some of his friends know about me, and they are happy for him.
            By a short trip, I mean a SHORT trip. A weekend. I would fly out on Friday and come back on Sunday. I saved the week long trips for the second trip. Again, just me but I believe it takes off some of the pressure if it's a really short stay the first time around.

Remember, words are nothing but lip service until the actions come into line with those words. Anyone can say anything they want but unless their actions backup those words, they are simply words. It's great that he says he wants to do all those things in the future but right now is also very important. How are you ever going to get to that future when he can't even do an initial meeting now?
            To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Before our first meeting (after we met on holiday), my boyfriend acted like that, too. I think he was just really nervous an tried to protect himself by not getting his hopes up too much. What happened in my case was, it turned out I had some leftover money, it was off season with low prices and I just told him; can I come in four days? He said yes, I flew down there, he arranged for me to stay for free and he could not have been more enthusiastic about my stay. I believe it was just 3-4 days. I had meetings with a work councellour every week at that point, so I could not have stayed much longer. My next trips was just about 4 days as well, as I had just started my new job and had no holiday time. Then my third visit lasted almost a week. The only problems with the short stays was they were really hard emotionally on my bf, who really longed to spend time with me, but at the same time they also served his ambivalence well as he had only "signed up" to meet me for a short time.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
              X