International same sex marriage and legal issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International same sex marriage and legal issues

I've been considering getting married to my partner. This is a project for the long run of course, not for the upcoming weeks. We love each other, and we would like to live together without legal problems. And so far I can't find a way to live together without being married.

We face several challenges mainly related with my SO's nationality (Filipino). He lives in a very distant country, the economic situation there is not good, his passport is very weak and his country doesn't recognize nor allow same-sex marriage. So I wonder how can we make it work.

I can "easily" travel to the Philippines. Sure I have to fortune and I should take two long flights, but I don't need any sort of visa, a passport is enough. Yet he has many problems getting a visa to travel. It's nearly impossible, the price and requirements are ridiculous. And that's just a for a simple trip, so we spoke about making the trip to Europe* into the last one.

Checking the news I realized that Costa Rica is about to legalize same-sex marriage in a week. Costa Rica is a visa-free destination for both my partner and I. Would it be possible for us to get married in Costa Rica and make this marriage recognized internationally? Alternatively we could try other countries, but the idea is the same.

*Besides Europe we considered living in America or Australia where there's also same-sex marriage, yet I think that could be even harder.
    Why am I always trying the impossible?

I had a look into this as I was curious after reading your post. I found 2 different sources saying that Costa Rican marriages are recognised worldwide, so you should be fine.
    Depending on where you're looking to settle will affect whether you need it translated, signed and notarized by the relevant country.

Comment

Working...
    X