Separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separation

Hi, I'm very new to this, but my boyfriend just got stationed to Alaska through the Air Force. I am getting my degree at the University of Dayton, but can't help and feel torn. On one hand, I want to be able to get my life on track, which then puts me in a very long distance relationship! We've been dating for five years now, and are very serious so it isn't just a young love type of thing. Anyway, does anyone have any outlook or advice for this journey ahead of me? Thanks!!

Man I feel ya. My SO and I have also been dating for almost 5 years. And he's also in the AF. He hasn't started basic yet, but it won't be long before I'm in your shoes. We've been in a long distance relationship for about a year back in 09-10 and it's tough. But you learn to adapt and just like everything else, there are things about long distance that you could never get. If you're committed to each other, you will both get things out of the relationship that you never have before.

I'm assuming getting married isn't an option until you have your degree. I say that because my SO is doing the same thing to me :P. Military life is challenging to get used to (my dad has been in the AF for 20 years). It's hard to know when you'll see each other again, but what I've found to be very helpful is to make little things throughout the week to look forward to. Phone calls, texts, webcamming, all sorts of stuff. This website has a lot of great ideas about how to interact with your SO in different ways.

When we were long distance I used that as an opportunity to do some soul searching and self-finding. Keeping a journal really helps me, even when I'm not feeling sad. And trust me, keeping your head in your books helps significantly. Just always remind yourself that there is an end, even if you can't quite see it yet. And there are always people here to help
    sigpic
    Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
    Our first LDR ~ August 2009
    Closed the distance ~ January 2011
    He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
    Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
    He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
    Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
    Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

RAF sucks!

hey ive only just joined this!
      my names jess and yeah its awful! my boy ryan, hes in the RAF and hes now being moved to alaska. we lived 2 hours away from eachother when we first got together when we were 17, then he was based in halton, now hes moving over to alaska. i miss him so much, ive never felt like this over anyone. but i look at it like distance makes you better people. if your willing to stay strong and get through this together, then you could simply take the world on together. its so hard isnt it! but i honestly believe it gives you things to look forward too, and makes each day pass faster until you get to be together again xx

Comment

hello there, I live in Alaska. Maybe you can transfer to the University here? It is actually a good one, I got my nursing degree there. Plus being here would be a nice adventure for you Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Working...
        X