marriage... :]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marriage... :]

me and my SO are getting married! i am so excited. my mom and bridesmaids are planning pretty much everything for me. i am getting leave time to go back home and get married to him. i could not be any more excited than i am right now!
    i can't help but to be kinda nervous too.
    we have never lived together and now we are going to be sharing a place but i will be working two and a half days then half day and full day off with sliding weekend duty and will not be home. My biggest concern is him finding a job quickly and making friends. We will be living in an apartment complex so i am hoping to meet some people there. He not the most out going guy in the world and i don't want him to be stuck at home until he finds a job.
    I myself have not made any friends since being stationed here. I am the kind of person who likes to keep work and my personal life separate so I am not one to make plans with my fellow Coasties...
    I guess I'm just venting my thoughts... Does anyone have any job finding tips or any advice on introducing ourselves to our neighbors and explaining our situation a little bit ( like why the heck an 18 and 19 year old are married and 9 hours away from our families)
    Kellsie Coastie
    non-rate, US Coast Guard

as far as the job finding...most cities have a job center...that is a good place to start looking...or the internet or papers...and friends will come along when you least expect it...starting new is sometimes frustrating...but...just be yourselves...and all will fall into place...take this time to get to know each other a little better too maybe...nothing wrong with that

Comment

Congratulations!! Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about later issues. Focus on what's going on now. I'm sure your SO will feel at home and make friends and find a job in due time. Have him look for jobs on the base you're at. I don't know about Coast Guard, but in the Air Force spouses looking for jobs on base get first priority over other people. I got a great job at the bowling alley for a while and I got it pretty quickly.
      It all comes with time, it'll be fine. Focus on your wedding and the many happy days you'll have with your SO!!
      sigpic
      Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
      Our first LDR ~ August 2009
      Closed the distance ~ January 2011
      He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
      Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
      He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
      Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
      Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

For starters I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself. Your already nervous about your upcoming nuptials, so just relax as much as you can & enjoy the day. You can worry about the other things once all the celebrations are over. Once your settled you can take some time to perhaps find some groups in your area, the internet, library are great resources for doing that....I'm sure everything will fall in to place and if it doesn't straight away don't fret, have faith that it will!! I do hope your special day goes fantastically......

Started Writing - February 2010
        First Visit - September 2010
        Second Visit - June 2011
        Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
        Our Wedding Day - April 2012
        Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
        NOA1 - July 2012
        NOA2 - December 2012
        Fourth Visit - December 2012
        Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

thank you for the advice! Yes, the Coast Guard is very different from the other branches. For example, I currently live/ work at a station. at the Station we have a Chief who is the Officer in Charge (tho not an officer - side note a chief in for 15 years or more pretty much deserves just as much respect as junior officers if not more! (just my little opinion) , a BM1 Executive Petty Officer, MK1 Engineering Petty Officer, a cook (FS2), SK2 for accounting/shipping/receiving/gear issue, and the rest of us are split in two duty sections 8 people each. And that is all! We maintain the entire grounds its prolly 5 Acres or so, maintain the building, and do SAR missions and Law Enforcement! We are pretty busy! Im on Lake Erie so Memorial day- Labor Day is super busy then dies down until ice rescue comes around! So long story short, no civilian jobs and things are very different from the typical military Base set up of it almost being a "small town."
          Right now, things have calmed down and most our underway time is training.
          My concerns still rest on Jake (SO) being able to find work and find things to do while looking for work. I would like to get a pet cat for us (our apt lets us but its an additional fee -sadeface- but he claims to HATE cats so maybe thats not such a good idea.

Comment

That's so exciting!!! Congratulations! I'm 18 and I just got engaged, but we're kind of keeping it a secret because my dad isn't too fond of him. I'm really happy that your family is behind your decision. And living with him is also going to be pretty exciting! But like everyone has said, just focus on getting married, and let him take care of his job situation. A nice job will come to him, and you seem to have a bit of time until your wedding, so it's all good! Just relax and enjoy picking out your dress and trying a bunch of different cakes!

First met: June 2012
            Became Committed: June 04, 2012
            Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
            Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

Working...
            X