How to deal with my crazy emotions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with my crazy emotions?

*I posted this in my introduction forum too, but I need some support or guidance*

My boyfriend and I have just started dating a couple weeks ago. He is the Marines and currently training down in Texas which is 2,000 miles away from me. We went to high school together but never really talked. Our parents had started dating and when he came home for brief visits we would begin to connect and recently got together over Winter Break. When we said goodbye at the airport I realized how strong my feelings actually were for him and it broke my heart to watch him go. After being in Texas for two days, we made it official. Our families were very hesitant and concerned about our relationship and how it would affect our parents relationship. I have never been in this situation before and during all my previous relationships I spent the majority of my time with the person I was dating. I am finding the distance to be EXTREMELY hard to deal with. I find myself becoming obsessive and getting upset constantly. Although he is in the Military, he seems to have a lot of time on his hands during the weekend and I feel like he doesn't make the effort to give me a moment of undivided attention.

I want to make this work but I don't know how to deal with my strong emotions. I don't want to push him away but I'm not sure what else to do. I don't want to give up but on the other hand I don't know if I am actually emotionally mature enough to be in a long distance relationship. My life is also very hectic, I work three jobs and go to school full time with a 2 hour commute and I am starting to get stressed. The problem is that he works late but doesn't have to get up early so I end up staying awake, waiting for his phone call but he never is willing to wake up a little bit early to talk on my time.

I'm not sure what to do and I'm scared that he will want to end the relationship because of how I am acting.

I think the #1 best advice for LDRs is to tell your SO your concerns. Tell him that you are having a hard time with the distance, and you do want to make it work out, but make him understand that you are having to deal with a lot of crazy emotions right now. Some couples need more time to talk together than others. Military guys tend to not really think about things if it goes unsaid. Guys in general tend to not read between the lines. Tell him that you would like a set amount of time on the weekend, just to talk and connect and be a couple. Maybe things are fine for him but he doesn't realize that you are struggling.
    Just tell him, I'm sure he'll be understanding of your feelings.
    sigpic
    Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
    Our first LDR ~ August 2009
    Closed the distance ~ January 2011
    He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
    Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
    He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
    Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
    Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Working...