No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Evening everybody!
    My name is Alex, and my boyfriend and I met in Basic Training. I'm in the national guard in Knoxville, TN, and he is active duty in Nevada. We met a little over two years ago, and we were just friends all that time. For my birthday this passed November he flew me out to Las Vegas just to catch up and maybe rekindle an old flame. Let's just say we didn't rekindle it, we exploded it! It's been wonderful. We save as much money as we can to fly back and forth, and when I graduate college in December, I'm moving out there to be with him! It's going to be hard, but hopefully this forum can help me stay strong this year. Any advice would be wonderful! Thank you!

Alex! Will you be able to transfer guard units? My dorm chief from basic was able to when she married her now ex-husband. He was, and still is, active duty so that's why she transferred. I know some units can be picky though, hopefully it will work for you! I'm active duty Air Force, stationed in Alaska and my SO is currently a civilian. He was in the Air Force prior to me joining and has been tossing around the idea of joining again so we'll see. I think you'll find it easier than most to be in a military relationship since you went through basic training and tech school too.

Once you have a good foundation and understanding on how often you want to communicate, things go pretty smoothly. There can and will be bumps along the way like any relationship but always talk through them! Don't cut him off or refuse to answer the phone or skype. Of course being military can throw other issues. Sometimes things change quickly and duty needs to come first. Depending on his job, it could be more difficult for him to talk to you some days and you just have to roll with it. Just keep in mind that plans can change. It's great that you have a close the distance date in sight but be flexible and do what is best for the two of you as a couple.

My advice is to stay busy throughout this time! You're in school so keep your focus on that and don't let your grades slip due to late night talking. Hang out with friends and family if they are near too. Hobbies outside of your relationship are great and are always there for you when you need them! Come here whenever you are lonely, need advice, or just want to chat. I enjoy this forum because there's so much camaraderie here and it's nice to have people who know what this kind of relationship is like.
    Our love story:
    Attended the same high school 2004-2007
    Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
    Reconnected: August 2012
    Began dating LD: November 2012
    Engaged! March 2014
    Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

Working...
    X