Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He's in Army Boot Camp, I'm in College. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's in Army Boot Camp, I'm in College. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Hello Everyone.

My name is Megan. I've actually been a member of this website for quite sometime, I was previously in a LDR with another guy before I ended things with him due to cheating issues. I still think Long Distance Relationships are possible and I guess that's kind of what happened here.

I came home from college to finish my last year back home with my family (instead of being away for college) and met a guy named Evan. Evan and I have been dating for 7 months, and then he left for Army Boot Camp. Honestly I feel so new to this situation, now that there's restrictions to my communication with him. I was wondering if anyone can kind of give me the ropes on how it works? Maybe that sounds too general. I just want to know about letter-sending, and package sending and what kind of "rights" (hate using that word, maybe privileges? opportunities?) I have since I'm a girlfriend and not a wife. How did you do it?

Thank you :3
    Love knows not distance, time, or logic.

Evan & Megan <3

Hi Megan! I don't know the specifics for the Army but for the Air Force, only letters, cards, and pictures were allowed during basic. Any care packages that were sent were not given to the trainee until the end of training, if then. I'm sure the Army has a website for family members and friends of those who are in training to answer frequently asked questions and provide information.

I know we were allowed to call once a week for at least 15 minutes when I was in AF basic training. It was usually on Sundays but could be other days. Keep your phone on you and when you start writing, write all the time! We loved mail time and when my SO was in basic training, I wrote him every day and put them in the mail each morning except Sundays. I sent pictures a few times a week because he loved getting them and being able to look at them when he didn't have time read a letter and needed some encouragement or a reminder of home. Just be as supportive as possible and hang in there! It's a lot easier being the one waiting than the one going through training! Having been through both, I can attest to that Good luck!
    Our love story:
    Attended the same high school 2004-2007
    Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
    Reconnected: August 2012
    Began dating LD: November 2012
    Engaged! March 2014
    Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!!

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

My guy was in Marine Corps Basic while I was finishing grad school. Any info I have is similar to what Heavenly_Love12 already stated. However my guy was not allowed to call home at all during training. The only time he was able to call was when he made it to Parris Island to let his family know he was there. He wrote a lot, but not as often as I did because during training they pretty much have a choice to write a letter or sleep during down time and most of the time he chose sleep.

How much of training does he have left? Once my guy left basic and went on to his MOS school we were able to have regular phone communication, Skype and I could send packages. In terms of information just ask him a ton of questions because unfortunately as a girlfriend you aren't much to the military. I told my guy that as far as the military was concerned I didn't really exist because they can only release info to family.

My ex is Army (officer) so if you have any other questions feel free to send me a message : )

Comment

Thank you ErinKristine My SO just left a week ago so he is still in red phase. I think I heard somewhere that there isn't any contact during that phase so I've just been waiting for a letter/call. I wait for the mailman and keep my phone close to me just in case. I miss him a lot Do you know when I might hear from him?

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

I didn't get a phone call from my guy at all during boot, but I am unsure if the Army allows phone calls. My first letter from him came about 2 weeks after he arrived to boot camp. He loved getting mail and it meant a lot to receive letters even if he couldn't always write back. Sometimes I would get multiple letters in one envelope because he just didn't have time to send them.

Comment

My best friend's boyfriend is in the Navy and was told that there would be no phone calls.... and then sure enough she received quite a few! His was all based on how his unit performed. If tests and inspections were passed they were allowed 20 minutes on the phone. Sometimes they use that time to call parents and other family members so don't be too hurt if this happens. I know that for her, letters and pictures were okay/appreciated! She was even able to fly to his boot camp graduation.

Comment

Working...
              X