Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Territory

Hello Everyone!
    I'm new here. I joined the site, because I have a unique situation, and honestly, have no idea what to do about it! Haha.
    Some background, is that I'm a Christian girl, 19 years old, in college. I'm not someone who just dates for the sake of dating, but I'm always searching out that someone in my life.
    I've been a member of Christian Mingle for a year or so. I've talked to many people on it, gone on a couple of dates, and I like the site because it does let me kinda sort through, all the while knowing that they're in the same boat. Needless to say, the 4 other guys I had been talking to, one after another, just didn't work out. No big deal. Seems to me, that a recurring theme here though, is that 3 out of the 4, are all military guys. Anyone who knows me, would say it made sense. My dad runs a securities company, and has been in martial arts for 30 years. On top of that, I grew up with two brothers. It was a recipe for a tough chick. So, a lot of guys love the fact that they can talk to be about their weapons and tactics, and I'm not staring blankly at them.
    Before I had talked to anyone in the military, I understood and read up on the challenges that people face with people in active duty. I live a busy lifestyle as well, and I thing that long distance relationships are actually incredibly romantic. Thus, I decided, this would be something that I could deal with if the opportunity arose, and let's face it...every girl love's a guy in uniform.
    Time passed, I got lax about looking on the site. Then he came along. At this point, I was too broke to pay for a subscription to actually be able to 'message' him, so we had to send these automated messages back and forth. He pursued me like crazy. Almost every day, I had something new in my mailbox. He was a marine, he was adorable, and he was a an of God. I HAD to find a way to talk to him. I tried encoding riddles into my profile to give him my name to look me up on facebook, goodness, it was like the darn davinci code, and I could tell he was trying as well. FINALLY, he encoded his phone number to me, and I got to talk to him. We did this riddle thing, for two weeks. For two weeks, he kept at trying to contact me. More than expect a lot of people to do.
    We introduced ourselves, and it was instant chemistry. I knew almost instantly, something was really special. We talked, daily, without those awkward end to text convo's that go kind of like " haha, cool..." - " yeah..." - anyway...night. " Nope, none of it, it was a breath of fresh air. He asked questions about me, and I him, and he told me about his service. He's stationed four hours away from me in active duty. He texted me daily, first, before I had the chance to, and called on regular occasions. We skyped a couple of times when he had a moment to spare, and he was incredibly sweet. It seemed too good to be true. So we talked like this, for over a month, and I made sure that he knew he was appreciated, and definitely tried to express my feelings in a non creepy way, and he was actually the first, on several occasions to bring up future plans about meeting, and different activies we could do.
    All of the sudden, everything changed. I can pinpoint the odd moment to being Sunday night, so April the 6th. Without warning, he was just distant. He didn't respond to the last text that night, and the next morning, nothing. I thought, perhaps he just wants to feel pursued as well, so I texted him. He responded cheerfully, but no where near what we'd normally been experiencing. I'd asked him casually if anything was new, the usual questions, and he seemed normal, just not excited. that night, the conversation ended with him not responding again. Up until today, this went back and forth, he'd texted me first the day after I texted him, and then I had to the next day, and then over again. Except, yesterday, he never responded after lunch time when we'd talked last. I haven't spoken to him since.
    I'm a very understanding person, so I really hope that he just has something going on, and everything will return to normal in a few days or more, but at the same time, it seems odd to me that it just died all the sudden. Nothing big happened between us, it was just out of the blue. I know what pursuing a guy too much, leads to, which is just pushing him away, so I've resolved to letting it go right now, and hoping and praying he takes the initiative. I would call more often, but I usually let him because I don't want to disturb him while he's working.
    So with that all in mind, I guess my question is, is have any of you faced something like this?/ what is your input on what may be going on?/ what should I do/not do?

I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
    T

How old is he? Are you two exclusive? He could just be playing the field. I would ask him point blank. Don't sit and wonder, but if you are not exclusive then date others and don't assume he is the one until you are both ready or you are creating an environment for heartache.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

He's 21. We're not exclusive, it just hasn't been brought up yet. Do you think it would be wise to wait for a while and then ask? In case there is something going on?

Comment

Originally posted by PureHeart View Post
        He's 21. We're not exclusive, it just hasn't been brought up yet. Do you think it would be wise to wait for a while and then ask? In case there is something going on?
        I think whether you bring it up is one thing and your expectations are another but should reflect that either way you decide. If you think he is playing the field then don't moon for only him. If it is upsetting enough to you, then just ask him one time and make a decision how to handle things after that. You either both want that or not, after a few months if you both do want it usually does come up.

Don't beat around the bush either, just ask. Are you and I exclusive? Don't lie and say you want to date someone else or go into detail about your SO's recent distance being linked to it. Just ask, if you want to know and then if he says no, say OK and leave it at that and go out and play the field yourself because that means he wants the ability to. If he says yes, then you can decide how to handle your other concerns. He could just be getting his butt chewed out with work. The military totally changed my brother, not really in a bad way but just different, it hardened him. OTOH, Mom said it did not phase my Dad, everyone's different or it might be something totally unrelated.
        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I agree with you. I guess when it boils down to it, I'm not the type of person who can like someone, and at the same time be talking to someone else. At the same time, I understand that it's only really been a month we've been talking, so I guess my concern is not freaking him out. Or in other words, how to go about saying it. Might come across clingy and possessive, you know?

I really hope that it's just something dumb and that's why he's not talking to me. Maybe he broke his phone, IDK. It's hard when people don't have a social media account. I appreciate the input guys!

Comment

Well, still haven't heard from him, 48 hours later. Ugh. The waiting game is never fun.

Comment

He has not gone that long like this, so I wouldn't panic. My SO can seem distant, when something is on his mind. It's possible that your guy is working through something. Back off a tad, but don't pout or get dramatic, be available, and wait and see.

Comment

Oy vey. 5 days since he last talked to me. Still no word. He logged into christian mingle today, but yet haven't heard from him. My plan is on thursday since it'll be a week from the last time we talked, but basically ask him what happened. Ideas?

Comment

I don't know you or your SO, but my gut instinct is to leave him be. If he's been a week without contacting you and he's going to Christian Mingle, I'd move on. I'm sorry. I know that is painful for you, but you deserve to be treated better than that. If he cares anything for you at all, he would have contacted you. He would have wanted to know how you are and what is going on with you. I can see a day or two, but 5 days is not good. Find someone that can treat you well. Again, I'm really sorry.

Comment

Ugh, so I texted him today, since it's a weeks since I spoke to him, so this is what I said:

Hey you. Well I haven't heard back crom you in a while...soo...kinda wondering what's going on? You seemed to have fallen off the face of the Earth all of the sudden, left me hanging. At least let me know everything is ok, and nothing happened to you.

His response was:

Sorry I'm fine. I've just been crazy busy with martial arts and work. It's insane.

So I'm really skeptical. I know he's been logging on on christian mingle and what not. But I guess I just don't know how to respond.

Comment

This may not be pleasant to hear, but my advice is to relegate him to a 'friend' and keep looking for someone who doesn't push and pull. I once went through a year and a half of a guy pushing and pulling me before I finally had enough and cut contact with him. He would reach out to me and be awesome for a few weeks, then pull away again for months at a time. He was also long distance (only 3 hours!), and I dated others during that time frame because he would say we were exclusive and then disappear without a word! But I was very much hung up on him that whole time.

The plain fact is, if you are important to him, he will show it by his actions and by being consistent in his contact with you. Whether his availability is daily, or a couple days a week, or once a week, he would make sure you knew when you would hear from him. Even at his busiest point of being in a 30 day medical internship a 1000 miles away from me just a month after we met (he was basically on duty for all but 3 of the 30 days), my SO made the time to call or text me daily, even it was just a funny quote or a picture of something he had done. I never doubted that he cared about me because he showed it with his actions. We are engaged a year later because we both showed our commitment to each other by our actions.

That is the lesson I learned from dating in my 20's. If you are questioning his feelings because he says one thing and acts a different way, listen to his actions - not his words.
                      Last edited by RedWhirlwind; April 17, 2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X