Skeptical Family and Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skeptical Family and Friends

Well, my SO got sent overseas, for hopefully only a month. My friends are pretty supportive, but I told one of my cousin's, and she was like, "are you sure he's not lying to you?" (We met online, and have not met in person yet) I've known him for eight months now.
    And the only answer I can come up with is, why would he? I trust him, shouldn't that be enough?
    I don't entirely know what I'm asking or anything, I just guess have any of you guys had a situation like this? I mean, did it put doubt into your mind? How did you react?
    Just trying to get out what's on my mind, since I can't exactly talk about it with him right now.
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

My family was skeptical of my boyfriend, not just because he's in the Army, but because I had a bad past with my ex. My mom especially was skeptical of my boyfriend because he's in the Army and she tried to tell me that all military guys are dirty and can't be trusted. -_- This was even after I met my boyfriend, in person. To this day, they're still skeptical of him, but only because I go and see him every weekend and he barely comes up to see me, though that's about to change since he bought a new, reliable, car and he has a much better job. Plus, I've told him them plenty of times that I'd rather see him because there's more to do in the city than there is here (I live in suburbia).

As for your situation, I wouldn't take what your family/friends say to heart right now. If you trust him and believe that he really did get sent overseas, then let it be. When you get a chance to talk to him about though, I would let him know. I think they're mostly skeptical of your boyfriend because of the fact that you guys met online, as me and my boyfriend did (yay Plenty of Fish). You're right when you say that you have no reason for him to lie to you, because there doesn't seem to be one.

Your family and friends just want to try and protect you, which is understandable, but at the same time they probably don't realize that they're just making you feel like crap. :/

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
      As for your situation, I wouldn't take what your family/friends say to heart right now. If you trust him and believe that he really did get sent overseas, then let it be. When you get a chance to talk to him about though, I would let him know. I think they're mostly skeptical of your boyfriend because of the fact that you guys met online, as me and my boyfriend did (yay Plenty of Fish). You're right when you say that you have no reason for him to lie to you, because there doesn't seem to be one.

Your family and friends just want to try and protect you, which is understandable, but at the same time they probably don't realize that they're just making you feel like crap. :/
      I'm definetly gonna talk about it with him when he gets back, no need to bother him overseas right now ya know?
      I understand my family and friends want to protect me and all, and yeah, it does kinda make me feel like crap..as far as taking it to heart, I try not to, but is hard ya know? For someone who's so close to me, to say that about someone I've fallen undeniably for...it just sucks, and makes me terrible. =/
      "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

I would talk to your cousin about what she said too, especially since she doesn't know him. It wasn't right for her to say that. :/

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
          I would talk to your cousin about what she said too, especially since she doesn't know him. It wasn't right for her to say that. :/
          I don't think I'll talk to her about it, just because she'll just put more doubt into my mind that I don't need.
          I think she'll calm down after she meets him this summer.

Comment

I definitely think your family will warm up to him once they meet him My family was skeptical too, until they finally got to meet him and get to know him the first time he came visit. Now my family loves him and everything feels comfortable. Just give them to chance to actually see that he is a real person and the two of you are serious about each other. It'll all work out for the best. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by RachelAnne View Post
              I definitely think your family will warm up to him once they meet him My family was skeptical too, until they finally got to meet him and get to know him the first time he came visit. Now my family loves him and everything feels comfortable. Just give them to chance to actually see that he is a real person and the two of you are serious about each other. It'll all work out for the best. Good luck
              Thanks =)
              It just hurts that they say those things to me, as if saying it would make me feel better if something were to actually go wrong.
              I just kinda would've wanted her to keep it to herself I guess, but I'm the end, I suppose it is MY relationship and it's between me and.my SO.
              I do get where she's coming from though, just, I wish she would show more support. But oh well, I just don't talk about it with her anymore. I'll talk to someone who's a little more supportive. ^-^

Comment

Originally posted by Unconditional View Post
                Well, my SO got sent overseas, for hopefully only a month. My friends are pretty supportive, but I told one of my cousin's, and she was like, "are you sure he's not lying to you?" (We met online, and have not met in person yet) I've known him for eight months now.
                And the only answer I can come up with is, why would he? I trust him, shouldn't that be enough?
                I don't entirely know what I'm asking or anything, I just guess have any of you guys had a situation like this? I mean, did it put doubt into your mind? How did you react?
                Just trying to get out what's on my mind, since I can't exactly talk about it with him right now.
                Did you know he's in the military, and did you tell your family and friends that he is? I mean, if he's in the military, it shouldn't be such a shock to anyone if he gets sent overseas. And why would your cousin say that to you, when it doesn't even make sense that anyone would lie about being in the military.

I hope you will be able to stay in touch with your SO while he's away. Which branch of the service is he in? I was a Navy wife, and my son just retired from the Navy the end of last year.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

Originally posted by AussieAmericanGirl66 View Post
                  Did you know he's in the military, and did you tell your family and friends that he is? I mean, if he's in the military, it shouldn't be such a shock to anyone if he gets sent overseas. And why would your cousin say that to you, when it doesn't even make sense that anyone would lie about being in the military.

I hope you will be able to stay in touch with your SO while he's away. Which branch of the service is he in? I was a Navy wife, and my son just retired from the Navy the end of last year.
                  yes, him being in the military was one of the first things he told me about himself. And I don't understand why she'd say that either. Everyone who knows about him knows he's in the military.
                  He's going to try and skype me when he can, but I understand he doesn't always have time for that.
                  He's in the canadian army, right now he's in supplies, he used to be in the infantry.

Comment

Working...
                  X