Military enlisted active

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military enlisted active

Are there any couples on here dating/ married (and not co-located) military member to military member?

Originally posted by Ninjagirl15 View Post
    Are there any couples on here dating/ married (and not co-located) military member to military member?
    Hi,

My boyfriend is starting his marines basic training in September. He is going into the military band and so will be in training for 3.5 months. I'm nervous about not seeing him for this long - I'm at uni so we're already doing a long distance relationship but this is the longest time we will have been apart and won't be able to talk very much and I have no idea if I'll be able to see him. Does anyone have any tips on how to get through this or any helpful experiences?

Thanks!

Laura

Comment

Originally posted by LauraRuth View Post
      Hi,

My boyfriend is starting his marines basic training in September. He is going into the military band and so will be in training for 3.5 months. I'm nervous about not seeing him for this long - I'm at uni so we're already doing a long distance relationship but this is the longest time we will have been apart and won't be able to talk very much and I have no idea if I'll be able to see him. Does anyone have any tips on how to get through this or any helpful experiences?

Thanks!

Laura
      A new post probably woild have been better, as I almost missed this post! But I.found it lol. Are you allowed to write him letters during basic? If so, then I would do that. Also, writing in a journal should help a LOT.
      Last edited by Unconditional; August 11, 2014, 09:40 AM.
      "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

If he's in Basic, I think the most you can do is write him letters. But, there's usually a blackout period (meaning you can't write to him/he can't write to you/there's no contact between him and the outside world) for the first 2 weeks or so. At least, that's what I've gathered from all the MilSO groups I'm a part of on Facebook. Also, don't expect him to write you a letter every day or anything, or expect to really hear from him at all while he's training. It's pretty brutal what they go through, no matter what branch of the military they're in (mine's Army). So make sure you understand that and don't take it out on him. It sucks, but what he's going through sucks even harder.

Besides all this, I have heard that some places (depending on the higher ups and which base he's at) let them Skype or have cell phones unofficially. My SO told me that when he was in Basic, he wasn't allowed anything except letters. But, this was also like almost 8 years ago. Lol. Also, don't send him any care packages, and anything that could be embarrassing to him. They will almost definitely go through all of his mail before it gets to him, and anything that could potentially embarrass him will be used against him as fuel to give him a rough time there (basically that's how they haze them).

Comment

Working...
        X