Newly engaged to my airman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly engaged to my airman

Hi. I came across this website today and thought maybe its the support I've been looking for that my married friends and family just cant give. My fiancé and I became engaged in July and 4 days later he was off to the Air Force. I knew it was coming but I had no idea how hard this would be. It's not even a deployment; he's just assigned to the DC area for the next year. We'll get married next fall and then we'll head off to wherever they assign him at that time.

I keep thinking to myself...if I can't get through this year, how will I ever survive a real deployment? I love this man tremendously and we're excited about our future together. But how do I get through this year? We went from frequent dates and family outings to a once a week phone call. The only positive side is that wedding planning is fun and keeps me busy. But when 8pm arrives and I'm sitting on my couch all alone and waiting on him to walk through the front door....it doesn't happen.

So - that's my story. I pray this website gives me the support of women who know what I'm going through.

Welcome

Comment

I fear your pain-- my SO really wants to join the Air Force, particularly Pararescue. Never pictured myself having my SO in the military, but I love him too much to let the circumstances change that, haha. Stay strong, and welcome!

Comment

Hello and welcome,I hope you enjoy it here,I know how hard LDRs are,it's very hard,this week I will have been with my bf for 2 months.

Comment

Congratulations on your engagement!

Sounds like it will be hard, but it also sounds like you love each other very much.
          Power through this!

Comment

Welcome! It is a hard life we sign up for as military spouses, but the good times are more than worth it. All I can really recommend is patience, trust & communication. If you both have or can cultivate those 3 things, then you can work through just about anything. :-) Oh, and STAY BUSY when he's away. Good luck!

Comment

Congratulations on your engagement!!
              And I know exactly how you feel. My boyfriend and I are also engaged, he's an army medic that has been moved to 4 states now, and I haven't seen him since September. Although that isn't long, it feels like a life time. Him and I do plan on eloping in the next few months, that way him and I can be together, and will have a wedding later on, makes things easier on us. Maybe it could be easier for you guys?
              I too hardly get to hear from him, but any chance we get, we write letters (which are great memories, and are wonderful to reread), skype, text, or call, even if it isn't for long. What makes me feel a little better is keeping a journal to write in every night or whenever, just write down how i am feeling, ect. You should look into doing one.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

My advice as a milso is take it one day at a time. Don't dwell on so much on how long until you'll see him next but instead as another day down and another day closer. Stay busy! It definitely helps make the time go faster. Cherish the little things/moments/memories. Rereading those old letters/messages/voicemails are definitely handy on those worse, extremely lonely nights. Also get yourself some other milso friends! They really are handy to have to rant to and of course the support that only those in similar situations can have.

But have faith in your love! You two can do this.

Met online: 04.19.14
                Became a couple: 04.23.14
                First Visit: 08.09.14-08.15.14
                Second Visit: 12.17.14-12.28.14
                Third Visit: 02.13.15-02.15.15
                Fourth Visit: 04.03.15-04.06.15
                CLOSED THE DISTANCE/GOT MARRIED: 06.22.15/06.27.15

Comment

Working...
                X