2 serving soldiers, 2 different armies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 serving soldiers, 2 different armies

Wanted to drop by and say hi. I'm a Brit soldier in a LDR with an Aussie soldier - met online 4 months ago and she's flying over to the UK in 47 days for our 1st meeting. Excited is an understatement!!

I have to admit, I've been pretty sceptical in the past about LDRs and I'm finding that I'm having to eat a lot of my own words lately. Hehe. Somehow we've ended up connecting from the other side of the world to each other and right now all I know is I don't want to be with anyone else but her and we're both 'singing off the same song sheet'. I've 3 yrs left till my service is done and if all goes well, I'll be leaving the army after 22yrs service to become an army wife. Lol. Now I never saw that in my future and despite the relative youth of our connection I'm focusing on the positive and a life together is already what we want for our futures.

I see lots of people on here talking about the difficulty with comms when in a relationship with a service person and now I totally get it. Having never dated a service person before I never really knew what it was like to be on the other end of a relationship with the individual and the army. Add to that the difficulty of different time zones sometimes it really sucks. I had an idea but never really got it. When we first started chatting she was just of to the middle East and it was only going to be as friends, things quickly changed and it has become so much more than that. She's home now which actually makes it harder for us to comminicate believe it or not.

All I can say to those who are having difficulties with service separation, comms, etc is that if your SO is anything like me (and the other service people I know) is that you can be sure that you are in their thoughts and hearts even if they can't get in touch and if he/she could send you a message/speak to you then know that they would. Service life can take over our lives but it can't take over our hearts and minds. It may seem a little old fashioned now but if you want to brighten up you SOs day whilst you are apart, send a letter or a little parcel. Nothing beats the feeling of receiving something from your loved one whilst your away - yes we have texts, etc but it still cant beat something that has been handwritten by the person you love.

I think I've gone on a bit here when I just wanted to say hi lol. Sending best wishes to all of you out there both serving and those waiting patiently at home xx

I'm not in miltary ldr anymore (ex) but your story is beautiful and welcome to LFAD!!!
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Working...
    X