Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas holidays?

Hi lovely people!
    My SO is a sgt in the US army. Hes going through a lot of hardships at the moment and said he may get an xmas holiday he's not sure.

For several reasons this would be the only opportunity he can come & see me. I don't want to keep asking because he has a lot on his plate atm. I don't want to put added pressure to come and spend time with me.

Does anyone know through their SO if soldiers get a Christmas holiday or under what conditions they can get one? And how long they usually are. Thanks!

I recommend youtubing DiamondsOnDeck76 and watching their "Holidays without the hubby" video, that might help a bit.
    Why not go see him if he cannot make it?
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

It's going to depend on where he's stationed, if he has leave time available, if he is required to be where he is stationed at that time. The military isn't like a regular job where companies close for the holiday. It's way too early for him to find out if he's going to be able to get leave in December.

My daughters SO is in the Marines and sometimes he doesn't find out until 2 or 3 weeks before if he can come visit and that's during any time of year. He's had his trips cancelled and rescheduled last minute. Two things you will really learn with dating military is flexibility and patience. Good luck!
      To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Is he deployed or stationed on a base here in the US? If he does get leave, sometimes it can be a week, or only a few days. They don't know until the last minute. So, pretty much what you know, is what he knows. Also, they can revoke it at any time if they granted it to him. So, be prepared for that and try not to get your hopes up too much if it doesn't pan out.

When my SO was deployed (before we met), he found out he had leave/was coming home for good, pretty much the day of. That's how last minute the military can be.

Also, sometimes we can't go to them because different bases/higher-ups have their own rules. Sometimes they don't let women on the base at all unless they're staff/military/Spouses. No GF's or Fiancées. Or, he may get "leave", but he might have to stay on base.

Like R&R said, being in a military relationship is really, really different than being in a civilian one. You have to be extremely flexible and understanding that the military is their career and life, and the military "owns" them. No arguing, no compromising, no questioning...the military tells you to do something, you do it. My SO was ARNG, he's out now, but it was still a pain in the butt.

Comment

Yep, short and sweet...you can't plan anything in advance with someone in the military. Things are never set in stone, and always last minute.

Met online: 04.19.14
          Became a couple: 04.23.14
          First Visit: 08.09.14-08.15.14
          Second Visit: 12.17.14-12.28.14
          Third Visit: 02.13.15-02.15.15
          Fourth Visit: 04.03.15-04.06.15
          CLOSED THE DISTANCE/GOT MARRIED: 06.22.15/06.27.15

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
            It's going to depend on where he's stationed, if he has leave time available, if he is required to be where he is stationed at that time. The military isn't like a regular job where companies close for the holiday. It's way too early for him to find out if he's going to be able to get leave in December.

My daughters SO is in the Marines and sometimes he doesn't find out until 2 or 3 weeks before if he can come visit and that's during any time of year. He's had his trips cancelled and rescheduled last minute. Two things you will really learn with dating military is flexibility and patience. Good luck!
            I suppose i tend to think of it as a regular civilian job and I'm discovering just how different it is. They are so last minute whenever they tell him things, he could find out he has to work a 24 hour shift not many hours before it's supposed to start. He's also been to 3 scheduled jumps, 3 days in a row and each one has been cancelled. He spent the whole day with heavy parachutes on his back!

It sounds like military dating is almost an art! That incorporates patience along with many other traits!

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
              Is he deployed or stationed on a base here in the US? If he does get leave, sometimes it can be a week, or only a few days. They don't know until the last minute. So, pretty much what you know, is what he knows. Also, they can revoke it at any time if they granted it to him. So, be prepared for that and try not to get your hopes up too much if it doesn't pan out.

When my SO was deployed (before we met), he found out he had leave/was coming home for good, pretty much the day of. That's how last minute the military can be.

Also, sometimes we can't go to them because different bases/higher-ups have their own rules. Sometimes they don't let women on the base at all unless they're staff/military/Spouses. No GF's or Fiancées. Or, he may get "leave", but he might have to stay on base.

Like R&R said, being in a military relationship is really, really different than being in a civilian one. You have to be extremely flexible and understanding that the military is their career and life, and the military "owns" them. No arguing, no compromising, no questioning...the military tells you to do something, you do it. My SO was ARNG, he's out now, but it was still a pain in the butt.
              He's stationed at a base in the U.S. it just sucks how difficult it is so to be able to make plans in a military relationship.

Another problem we are facing (which highlights the uncertainty that you lovely ladies are telling me about) is that he's been processed for administrative separation. He's been hanging in limbo for 3 months now. With a possible answer of separation or retention. His commander tells him any day now, but he is YET to get a proper answer, only just "we don't know" . It's torturing him, being in limbo, he would have loved to make plans if he knew he was coming out.

They've taken much much longer than expected (expected was end of January) and there's nothing he can do about it! Ugh military life huh!?

Comment

Working...
              X