Lack of Communication Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of Communication Blues

My boyfriend, Euisoo, is 8 months in to his military service, with 1 more year to go. I'm back at home in Ireland, studying a masters in education.

I am very communicative and get frustrated about the lack of contact. We can call for about an hour on the weekend and I maybe get a couple of texts during the week. This week was particularly hard with Christmas. Euisoo seems to think this amount of contact is excessive and we're constantly at odds over it.

I understand that it's hard for him to get to the phone box (they can't carry personal phones in the Korean military) but I don't feel I'm expecting too much.. It seems like either I'm happy or he's happy, but never both. I also understand that some couples have even less contact (I have gone 5 weeks without hearing from him) so it's hard for me to set realistic expectations.

He's got leave to come to Ireland in January for 10 days but I'm worried that we will have changed so much since we last met.

That is a really hard thing both of you are going through but if you're both committed and loyal I think you would be able to get through this. It will take a lot of compromise from both your side and his. You need to have confidence that you can make it through this and be together in the end. I know it can be hard to have hope during the hard times but once you take turns to stay strong I think both of you can get through it. What helps my SO and I is that the distance now will make us so much stronger in the future. That if you can combat this, you can combat anything. You just have to have patience and trust. It's easier said than done but just be hopeful.

Comment

Working...
    X