Any Milsos With Anxiety or Mental Illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Milsos With Anxiety or Mental Illness

This is a touchy subject. I was wondering if there are any milsos on here who have a successful relationship with a military spouse , being a significant other with anxiety, depression, ocd, or any other mental illness? I ask this because I struggle with anxiety in a form of ocd that I’m currently treating. That being said, I can’t help but wonder what it’s like to move away from your family and friends for the one you love having a condition as such. How do you do it?

I fear moving and struggling with my mind alone as I’m aware military significant others are busy on duties. I know someone out there has got to struggle of a mental illness of some sort who managed to move and beat their fear for the one they love? I imagine it is possible for your military significant other to make a relationship work if you both put in work and support one another in every aspect possible but I fear I won’t be perfect enough for him

So I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was 18/19. I take Paxil for it, and also saw a therapist for years. Additionally, I have a seizure disorder, and can't drive or work somewhere other than home (oh boy, data entry). I'm a milspouse, and for me, moving to be with my husband made life much easier.
    The only aspect of it that sucked for me was that I didn't know anyone. That eventually stopped being an issue as I got to know my husband's friends and made friends of my own. At the same time, being so far away from everything and everyone I knew, and knowing no one, was a bit of a godsend. It was a chance to start over and build up my life with my husband as we wanted it to be. It was a scary, intimidating move, but he was worth it, and the prospect of a better future was worth it. Sometimes, you just gotta take a deep breath and power through it.
    Perfect isn't a thing. You'll drive yourself mad trying to live up to it, because you'll never reach it. Don't worry about reaching it, and instead focus on treating your anxiety for the simple fact that your health is important. Look into what sort of mental health professionals are around where your s/o lives. Evaluate your options and see if you can develop a plan. Build confidence in yourself and your relationship, and it'll fall into place.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this ❤️You are such an inspiration to me. Yes I’ve come to the diagnosis of ptsd and ocd harm. I don’t wanna hurt myself or others but for some stupid reason I fear my anxiety will lead me to being close to hurting myself even though I don’t plan it or see it happening. Just random weird intrusive thoughts would happen. I started taking Prozac and so far the thoughts aren’t as bad but the anxiety is still there.

I’m not sure what lead my head to act this way randomly but it did. So while he’s away at deployment I’m trying to better myself so I’m not a burden on him is how I feel. Though as you stated perfection doesn’t exist. I just know he may have his own mental state to worry about and would hate to add to that. Idk what’s caused this but I do know and read it’s manageable and somewhat even curable through deep treatment of ERP and accepting thoughts are just thoughts. Even though they scare the shit out of me.

Comment

Working...
      X