Longer than conscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer than conscription

Hi there. My boyfriend is on military conscription at the moment. We are also long distance, half way around the world from each other. We have survived 8 months with another year to go.

Today he told me he's considering staying in the military another year after he finishes his service. I got quite a shock from that. He maintains he can finish his university and get paid. Either way I'm stuck in Ireland getting qualified so I can't go to him, and I know he needs to sort his career out before coming here.

Knowing all of that, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm confused about what he wants and I find the overbearing control of military life hard to deal with. I always told myself it was ok because he didn't have a choice but be there.. but now he is choosing that life?

I'm not sure what my goal of posting this here is, I think I just need to vent ..

Hi There Ainz!
    Military life is indeed a rough one along with the many unknowns that come with it. I think all you can do at this point is communicate clearly with him on your concerns etc. maybe a mutual agreement can be met? However if he decides to proceed with his decision , it looks like you will have to accept his decision , support it, go with it, or bail out if it’s too much for you to handle.

I myself am seeing someone and we’re in our first deployment started off long distance as well and it is hard as heck! It hurts to miss them but this is where we rule out are they worth the wait, are we willing to relocate with them if ever asked, etc.

Comment

The appeal of staying in the military for another year while he finishes up his education is that the government pays for it, he already knows the routine, and he still gets a consistent paycheck. It's a sure-thing, whereas things might not be so certain once he gets out. It sucks, but it's more reasonable for him to stay in at this point. A lot of soldiers will extend their contracts in order to finish their education.

Comment

Working...
      X