Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you guys thought about how much money it would cost visiting your SOs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you guys thought about how much money it would cost visiting your SOs?

Hi, so I'm 16 and I'm trying to visit my SO in Edinburgh. I never knew how much airplane tickets and hotel costs! I was planning on visiting my SO next year but I don't know if that will happen now because I don't have enough money. I can't ask my parents about money because they'd obviously ask why and who is he. Any ideas about how to get money? The U.S. economy is so bad that everywhere I go to apply, they say no....sad.

Baby sitting and mowing people's lawns never fails. Also asking for money at birthdays and Christmases/other religious or cultural holidays where gift-giving is common is a great idea.
    Being a teen in a LDR can suck pretty bad, and often the money situation delays a lot of first meets and visits. Keep at it though - even if it takes twice as long as you hoped. Every dollar you save is, well.. one less you need to earn!
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I know how you feel, I was 16 the first time my SO visited and I paid for everything almost. I had no job and little money, it took me a whole year to save up enough and that was only for a weekend visit! To be perfectly honest you're going to have to sacrifice, no spending money on those cute new pair of shoes, or that outfit in the store window, no spending a ton of money when you're out with friends. It's hard, trust me I know, but if you truly want to make it happen that's what you have to do. Save every single penny you're given, literally, save the change, and be hard with yourself. That's the only way it's gonna happen.

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Originally posted by Sora1101 View Post
        I know how you feel, I was 16 the first time my SO visited and I paid for everything almost. I had no job and little money, it took me a whole year to save up enough and that was only for a weekend visit! To be perfectly honest you're going to have to sacrifice, no spending money on those cute new pair of shoes, or that outfit in the store window, no spending a ton of money when you're out with friends. It's hard, trust me I know, but if you truly want to make it happen that's what you have to do. Save every single penny you're given, literally, save the change, and be hard with yourself. That's the only way it's gonna happen.
        This. I'm saving everything I get at the moment as well. I lack a job at the moment so getting the money is a bit more difficult than it would be otherwise.
        That said, in change alone, I have gathered about $60 in the past 4-5 months. I have more money than that total, that's just from saving the change left over from buying other things. It really does add up. ^^
        "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
        This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
        Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

Going from where I live to where he lives would be a total of 500 dollars driving, 387 by train, 402 by airplane, and 248 by bus.
          Its expensive to travel now a days...

Comment

Yes. Over $2,000 for the plane - round trip. A couple hundred in passport and visa fees. $ for his hotel and our activities/meals... I am putting myself on the strictest. budget. ever.!!!

Comment

Like everyone else has said, save all money that you don't need. I first visited my SO in February, and I am still 15, I asked for money for my birthday and Christmas. I am also lucky enough to get £50 (not sure how much that is in dollars) every month for things that I need, so I spend as little of that as possible and save the rest. This time (I'm visiting him next week) I had to ask for my birthday money from my Dad & Grandad early so I could afford the plane tickets, and I had to get a summer job. Hope this helped
              No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

I looked up prices for tickets and it was way too much and I wouldn't have enough time to save all the money. So I decided that I would just drive there.

Comment

What everyone else says. Get a weekend / evening job, ask for money for birthdays etc.
                  Originally posted by sabrinavo View Post
                  Hi, so I'm 16 I can't ask my parents about money because they'd obviously ask why and who is he. .
                  Maybe it would be a good idea to tell your folks about your SO, I mean (maybe this is me just be old-ish) do you really wanna be travelling half way across the world without telling them, or have I mis-interpreted what you meant? Just sayin

"A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they got planes and trains and cars, I'd walk to you if I had no other way"

First visit 23/08/2012 - 05/09/2012
                  Second visit scheduled May 2013
                  Ended relationship August 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Adora View Post
                    What everyone else says. Get a weekend / evening job, ask for money for birthdays etc.

Maybe it would be a good idea to tell your folks about your SO, I mean (maybe this is me just be old-ish) do you really wanna be travelling half way across the world without telling them, or have I mis-interpreted what you meant? Just sayin
                    I've been trying to look for a job but it's hard. Especially since I'm 16 and have no experience.
                    I will tell them that I'm going to Edinburgh, but I don't think that I will tell them the reason for going. Traveling cost so much...I have to save about $2000. Also, I don't get any allowance!!! So idk what to do.

Comment

My girlfriend lives in Oklahoma and me in Ohio but we've had lucky breaks so far. Her dad worked for the airline so she had free flights for a while. Then he lost it for personal reasons but her mom just started dating a filthy rich dude so she basically has free flights now and she is also moving to Nashville so that will cut down the plane ride to 4 hrs and drive to only like 8 hrs. I'm excited! (:

Comment

Very, VERY expensive. Costs more to fly than the price of my car. Which is pretty ridiculous as my car is quite nice.

It roughly costs about $1,500-$2,000 for me to fly from the USA to Bulgaria round trip. However I want to have at least $3,000 in personal spending money, just in case something happens (such as hospital bills, being mugged, etc). I also think I'll open another bank account, in case I lose my credit card or it gets stolen, because it's very hard to get that stuff sorted out when it happens abroad. I'd probably slowly funnel money from my primary banking to my abroad funds during the trip.

Saving up is difficult. I work part time as a cashier, and with all the monthly expenses, so far I've saved up $80 in 3+ months. Phone card, paying off my car, repairs, everything is so expensive these days. Luckily I have the school year and part of next summer to save up. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I have not yet met my s/o in person. It will cost a hefty sum, seeing as we live thousands of miles apart, and he will not be allowed to stay at my house. My parents are fairly strict on not letting their kid have his boyfriend sleep over the house, even if we are in separate parts of the house. So he will need a motel, transportation, a plan ride here, money for food, and whatever else. I am looking up various prices, and am trying to come up with a grand total for everything. I haven't started saving yet, and neither has he (seeing as his money is going towards college things at the moment!)

My suggestion is this. Save every penny. Ask your parents if you can do chores around the house. Go around the neighborhood and try to find some odd jobs to do. Scour the house for loose change, and if you do buy something, keep the change. It does mean that you won't be able to buy the majority of the extra things you want. You want to go out with friends? Well, maybe you could pass and save some of the money and go somewhere free of charge with your friends. You get the point! I wish you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrinavo View Post
                            I've been trying to look for a job but it's hard. Especially since I'm 16 and have no experience.
                            I will tell them that I'm going to Edinburgh, but I don't think that I will tell them the reason for going. Traveling cost so much...I have to save about $2000. Also, I don't get any allowance!!! So idk what to do.
                            Move to Australia . The minimum wage is so high that people under 18 can get a job so easily.

And for me, flights are about $2000 return. Luckily I'm able to stay at her house (for no cost), but I generally buy things for them when they are short on cash and I babysit/clean etc. I do get study money and whatnot but I also like to save some extra money for emergencies etc.

And the big thing that I do is cut back the unecessary costs. I cook on about 29/30 days, in bulk. Also eating cheaper (but delish) food like Bolognese and Rice helps me save. And although not so applicable to yourself, I don't own a car.

I think that you should also try and wait until you two are a bit older. Perhaps try and get to the point where you could stay at her house, instead of having to put money into a hotel.

Good luck!
                            Last edited by Tooki; August 4, 2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I might be ridiculously lucky, but my SO lives in my old hometown. I still have family there, so honestly the're a "great excuse" to go up and see him 3 or 4 times a year.
                              My family is always willing to drive me up and back, and if I need anything else Matthew is willing to provide it.

It's a long drive, it's a pain. But he's completely worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X