Dad and sister against LD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad and sister against LD?

I'm a 15 year old boy. My father and sister are against long distance. I don't know what to do. They've made me deactivate Facebook, Twitter, and I can't go on the chat site I've met a lot of friends on. I've even met this girl there who if we had the freedom to date, would be my girlfriend. I love all of my friends, and I love that girl too. I've grown attached to them in a way. Some of them I've known for months, some for a year and beyond.

My dad and sister think of them all as online predators, people that are just planning to ruin my life somehow, yet I honestly think they are real. They think that they are the ones putting the ideas of feelings and attraction in my mind, when actually, there is no peer pressure of any kind, these feelings are my own. In my mind, there are as many real people on the internet then there are online predators, or else the predators would have no purpose. Yet if I bring that up, they would find some way to counter it or dismiss it. They might even get mad for me trying to defend them. I feel really bad now. I had to deactivate everything yesterday. My dad will take my phone away during the day. I sent the girl a goodbye text and explained the situation, then told her to tell the others. This morning, I started crying, which seemed to make my dad annoyed.

I don't know what to do anymore. I love them all, but I have no idea when we'll all be in contact again. By the time we do get back in contact if we do, I bet they would have left the chat, Twitter names may change so I don't know how I'll be able to follow them on there, and as for Facebook, some of them don't even have Facebook and as for the ones that do, there isn't any guarantee that by the time I talk to them again in months, most likely years if I even talk to them at all, that the names would still be the same or I would be able to find them. I just feel bad now. I feel like they will forget me. I know that it would be better for them and for me to move on, but for me that will take a long while. Their names will be in my head most likely everyday. Even now as I write this I'm about to break into tears again..please, any advice, anything at all would be appreciated..

It's tough being a teenager, trust me. I was one not too long ago. It's hard to see right now, but your dad is just doing what he feels is best for you. I don't know how technology savvy your dad is, but mine is just so-so. Because of his lack of understanding of it, he put a lot of rules down on me to protect me. People are naturally hesitant about what they don't know about. I don't know why your sister is involved with this though.

Who knows, maybe your dad is wrong about your friends. Maybe none of them are bad people trying to get something out of you. It's better to be safe than sorry though because honestly, there's a lot of nasty people out there, even I won't do any personal communication with anyone I don't know in person. I know it's tough to have to lose contact with people you've grown fond of, but someone your age really needs to be physically with other peers your age. There's always ways to make friends, you just have to get creative. Technology is really great and you can meet a lot of people that way, but you have to go out and socialize with people in person. It is vital for your social development as a human being.

Make the best out of your situation, you really don't have much of a choice it sounds like. Your dad isn't out to make your life miserable. He's just trying to raise you the best way he knows how. Be glad your dad gives a flying **** about you.
    sigpic
    Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
    Our first LDR ~ August 2009
    Closed the distance ~ January 2011
    He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
    Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
    He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
    Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
    Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Have you ever talked to your friends over web cam? I think if you could convince your dad to at least meet them that way he could see that they are who they say and would be less strict on you, it's tough having a parent come down on you like that, I think a lot of parents don't understand how thoroughly attached we kids are to the internet and that now a days it's a perfectly acceptable to make friends that way as long as you're being safe.

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I completely understand what you mean because my parents and my siblings all disagree on me having a long distance relationship. As it stands now they found about my bf and cut all my ties to him except for my friends. They helped me be able to talk to him. My parents are the same in believing that almost everybody on the Internet is a predator. I mean I understand them but Odell in love with my bf and we have been dating now for 1 year and 1 month. I know for sure that my parents will never give me that leniency to be in a long distance relationship or even contact or continue talking with the friends that I have made in the Internet as well. I'm also 15 and yeah it bothers me that my parents are overprotective but I'd rather have them like that than not care at all. My bf and I still talk, thanks to my friends. But yeah I don't think your dad will change his decision no matter how hard you try but if you really love that girl, in my opinion, doing give up.

Comment

I completely understand what you mean because my parents and my siblings all disagree on me having a long distance relationship. As it stands now they found about my bf and cut all my ties to him except for my friends. They helped me be able to talk to him. My parents are the same in believing that almost everybody on the Internet is a predator. I mean I understand them but I fell in love with my bf and we have been dating now for 1 year and 1 month. I know for sure that my parents will never give me that leniency to be in a long distance relationship or even contact or continue talking with the friends that I have made in the Internet as well. I'm also 15 and yeah it bothers me that my parents are overprotective but I'd rather have them like that than not care at all. My bf and I still talk, thanks to my friends. But yeah I don't think your dad will change his decision no matter how hard you try but if you really love that girl, in my opinion, dont give up.

Comment

I can understand where you are coming from. it is hard, however parents are always hesitant when kids start getting to know people online. my dad was the same. there is nothing you can really do about trying to change your dad s mind about this :/ cause parents want to stick to their assumptions always without giving a chance for the kid to explain. I suggest you try to convince your dad by trying to show them through webcam to your parents, as one of the people here suggested. also, i think you should try hanging out with people your age in real life, dont take it as a negative thing me saying this, but imagine getting into a relationship with someone online when you can barely meet them, at such a young age, and having to deal with heartbreak if a break up does happen? if you think you are ready for it no matter what, i think you should try to convince your dad and get to know that girl and your friends

Comment

Working...
            X