Flying Alone :P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying Alone :P

So, My boyfriend has asked me to come stay with him for a few days at the end of October-November... IF my parents say yes this will mean me flying to Spain from London. The thing is, I've never flown in my life let alone flown on my own.. XD So, first thing, as i'm only 15 do I need any special permission/ written consent apart from by my parents to fly and 2) what should I expect at the airport etc ( Worried about security etc :S ) Thank You for any help given

When flying alone, (it might depend on the airline), you can get special assistance when you are an "unaccompanied minor". I'm guessing someone is set as your "guide", and will help you out along the way. I really don't know much about it, I suggest searching "unaccompanied minor (+ the name of the airline you would like to travel with)". This might get you the information you are looking for.

Here's an example I found:
    https://www.swiss.com/web/EN/service...ed_minors.aspx
    For Swiss airlines, you need to pay a fee (which is separate for each flight) and fill out a form to bring with you (multiple copies needed).

Hope this helps a little!
    started dating: 12/08/12
    "i love you": 04/12/13
    el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
    montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
    el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
    montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
    el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
    el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
    el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
    san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
    san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

Thank you

Comment

If fly on my own loads, between Sweden and England, and I have no problem. They first few times I was 15, now I'm 16, nothing strange happens, you're on your own and you have to know when to go through security and when to go to your gate, etc, etc. The only thing that might be slightly different is that when you get to the border, of possibly either country, they will probably ask you a few questions, like where you're traveling from, if anyone's meeting you at the airport and if you've had any contact with them since you've landed in the country. But it's all cool, and you don't have anything to worry about
        If you get stopped at security then they might ask how old you are or for your passport, so I recommend carrying it with you through the beeper instead of putting it in your bag, just an idea
        If you want any more advice or anything, then private message me
        No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

Due to my job, I am a frequent flyer and know many airports in the world. Since you are flying within Europe, you probably won't even need a passport, just a picture ID. If you want to make sure everything goes alright then take your passport with you. Check your luggage in at the check-in counters and then proceed through security. Do not put any liquids in your carry-on that are larger than 100 ml and you will be fine. Go to your gate and check the boarding time (it usually gives you a time on your boarding pass that you will receive during the check-in process). You should be at the gate 10 minutes before boarding. I usually look for my gates immediately after going through security just to make sure where my gate actually is. Board the plane and enjoy the excitement. When you arrive leave the plane and follow the signs to the baggage claim in the terminal. Pick up your luggage at the belt that shows your flight. You might need to go past a customs officer who might ask you if you have something to declare. And as long as you don't bring loads of merchandise that would be enough to stock a retail store, you can truly answer no.

Don't make the mistake to sit near the gate with your headphones on causing you to fall asleep. yupp... that happened to me! when I woke up I heard the following announcement through the PA system: "Very last call for Mr. SoFarAway to board NW airlines...." Running down the hallway to my gate, I barely made it. When I entered the plane people were actually applauding because they shut the door immediately after I got on. LOL

Comment

I'm fairly sure that you need to travel with a passport between the UK and Spain (The Schengen Zone). Different travel areas.

The big thing is to find your gate early. You don't need to sit there, but knowing where it is will help you out if you need to rush to your flight. If you are flying out of London Heathrow, I highly recommend that you try to find your gate ASAP.

And don't worry about the questions. You're from an EU member state, so you won't be stopped from entering the country. Just keep your boyfriends families details on hand in case somebody asks for it (unlikely, but again possible)

Your parents will probably help you out with packing etc as well.

AND HAVE FUN!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied, my flights got booked last night flying out from luton airport at like 7 in the morning!!! I'm feeling pretty relaxed about the whole thing, I know it will be really fun and if I get lost I can always ask someone! 35 days!!!xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Bex2804 View Post
                Thanks to everyone who replied, my flights got booked last night flying out from luton airport at like 7 in the morning!!! I'm feeling pretty relaxed about the whole thing, I know it will be really fun and if I get lost I can always ask someone! 35 days!!!xxx
                Best of luck and take care

Comment

If it's possible, let me know what Luton Airport is like please. I'm flying into there when I'm going to London!

Comment

Yeah, I will do!! from what I have heard it is quite a small airport and easy to navigate round!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                      If it's possible, let me know what Luton Airport is like please. I'm flying into there when I'm going to London!
                      Luton airport is really easy to find your way around, if you get stuck just ask someone, they are really good : )

Comment

I'm flying alone for my first time to see my ldr the end of this month, too! GOOD LUCK (to us both!)

Comment

Luton airport is really easy to find your way around, if you get stuck just ask someone, they are really good : )
                          I figured as much . I should be able to get around it with ease.

Comment

Working...
                          X