Meeting for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting for the first time

My boyfriend and I plan on meeting at the beginning of January for his birthday and I am REALLY REALLY nervous. And I hate awkward situations lol. I know he is nervous too but I just have that one "what if" going through my head, "what if he doesn't like me?". I just can't seem to get it out of my head! He tells me that he will like me and all that but I don't know. Anybody who went through this kinda thing? I mean, I'm sure a lot of people have but can you tell me how you got over it and how meeting went?

Before meeting my bf for the 1st time, i was nervous as hell.
    Same as you, i had a lot of 'what if...' in my head.
    Actually I was convinced that after meeting me, it would end there.

He came to Canada, I went to pick him up at the airport.
    I thought my heart would stop, that's how nervous i was.
    I went towards him and poked him and smile ( was a nervous smile...)
    And we took the shuttle that was to bring us downtown.

Yes it was a tad awkward, we were both weren't sure what to say and scared to say 'the wrong thing'.
    We had some 'silent' moments and times we both said stuff that didn't make any sense.

After the 1st few hours passed, we started to talk more and more and started to feel more relaxed.
    Late in the night I have decided to throw my 'shyness' away and cuddle him and from that moment, we didn't let go his entire stay.

So, yes you will be both nervous but take some deep breathes.
    Be yourself and don't worry about things too much.
    If it's meant to be, it will all come naturally : )

/hugs
    ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

when i met my boyfriend again after not seeing him for 3 months it was awkward to start off with, even after spending 2 weeks together at the start of summer when we started dating. After a few hours we settled down and it was like we had never been apart! I'm sure it will be fine! just remember, he is probably just as nervous as you! have fun and just relax! Have a great trip and let us know how it goes

Comment

Thanks guys! What you both said makes me feel a lot better. I will let you know how it goes!

Comment

when I first met my bf I was soo nervous! There had been all sorts of mix ups with my flight and so he wasn't there when I got in... I kept going to the bathroom to fix my hair, and my make-up, etc. Finally one of the time I got out of the bathroom I saw him talking to airport staff... he was holding flowers and I recognized him instantly even from behind. So, it made it less awkward that I saw him first! hehe I sneaked up behind him then asked him if he was looking for someone. He turned around so fast and wrapped his arm around me. We kissed for the first time right there and then. LOL then we couldn't find his car because we were feeling so drunk from being together... haha! The next hour we were driving and there were some awkward moments... where we kinda giggled and just said "I can't believe I'm/you're here" but nothing unbearable or super uncomfortable or anything... After that we fell into a pattern and it really felt like we'd been living together for years... We helped each other with things, or divided tasks instinctively... I just love being with him.... I can't wait to see him again! <3
          First met online: June, 2010
          First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
          Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
          Third visit together: August, 2012
          Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
          Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
          Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
          Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

I started dating my boyfriend in late March 2012 and we finally got to meet 7 months later in early November, seeing each other for the first time. I was not that nervous, but I was a little scared thinking things like "I look worse in person than on Skype" and a ton of things like that. The key is to be sure that he loves you unconditionally before you ever meet in person. That helped me a lot, because I knew that even if I do look worse in person, (which I still think I do, bvut he says I don't), then he would love me anyway. Everything was completely fine, better than fine; we met, hugged, and didn't let go until he had to leave 4 days later. So, communicate you anxieties and say "even if... would you still love me?"

Comment

Aww that's so exciting, first meetings are filled with nervousness and excitement! I remember meeting my Chris for the first time... November 2010 and I flew to see him, my flight was a bit early, I couldn't use my phone and couldn't think of how to dial his number on the payphone, I found the taxi driver who was holding up my name, and then started to calm down thinking "I really hope Chris is at the train station anyways" and then Chris called when we were by the taxi and then the driver let me talk to him... Chris' train was late getting to the train station that the taxi dropped me off at.. the driver gave me his business card in case I had any trouble.. and then I waited by the cafe Chris had told me to wait at.. and then I saw a couple people I thought might be him, and then he saw me first and said my name and was walking towards me and I think I started walking towards him.. I remember thinking how much more 3-D he looked.. and then he held his arms open, we hugged for a good amount of time and then he took my suitcase and we held hands to pay for my ticket (I didn't realize he already had one because he bought a return ticket) and he paid for it, and then we went outside to wait for the train.. all the while I was so giggly and excited and kept looking at him and smiling, couldn't believe I had made it to see him and we were finally together in person. That 2 weeks we spent together went by too fast..

My advice to you: being nervous is normal, focus on the excitement. Any messing up in plans just makes for a good story later. Have a good way of communicating with them once you get to the same place so you can make sure you find each other. And I also went through the thought that he might not like me as much in person or we might not click.. he wasn't as worried I don't think.. I kept reassuring myself that we talked all the time on Oovoo and everything and it would be fine and great and we'd have a great time no matter what.. but it did worry me.. I think by the time I was about to leave, I was way more excited than nervous. I think maybe just try and work yourself up to be more excited, think about everything you can do together, and try not to worry.. though I know it's hard.. just when the worried thoughts come up, reassure them and tell yourself it'll be okay.. especially if you talk a lot on video chat. Enjoy every moment of it!!

Comment

I remember meeting my boyfriend for the first time. I was so nervous. We weren't even dating yet. We were just friends and had decided to meet up to see a movie. He had arrived first to the place we were going to meet at and was waiting outside so, he saw me pull up. He came over to my car as I getting out and we gave each other a hug and just hung out for a little bit before going to see the movie. It was a little awkward but I think it was all nerves. After a little bit we relaxed more and joked around and talked more. Meeting someone for the first time is always hard but trust me after a bit its like you two have always been together and it gets much much easier.

Met Online: 02/2012
                Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Even though I knew my boyfriend from when we went to school together, I was still really really nervous as we hadn't seen each other in well over a year! He was nervous too! Don't worry, just relax and everything will be fine
                  No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

haha.. I could post the exact same thing.. and kind of did in a differet thread. I don't know if you guys are going/went through the same thing but these nagging " what if.." or "we won't click in person".. or "it'll all be over and we'll be disappointed when we meet" hit at the worst times. Whenever I get excited about finally meeting, or think this is so great that we have eachother, I can't even fully enjoy it because I immediately think " oh.. but this will probably last only until we meet" , or " he liked me now but will not like me in person"..
                    And I don't really know how to stop that, or get these thoughts under control. So yeah, i get you laceyd

Comment

Summerkid.... I think that is a normal feeling, no? I have the same feeling about my boyfriend. There is always this small doubt inside my head, that I'll dissapoint him, that I might not be what he expected me to be. It seems impossible to take those thoughts away.... but talking with him on skype, or just seeing his messages in general make me so happy.
                      Just go for it, since you never know what will happen in any relationship. Whether it's a long distance one or not.
                      You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

I think you will be fine. When I first met him I kinda ignored him since I was so nervous and I did not know what to do. I'm sure everything will be fine since you know him well enough and he knows you well enough, right? Enjoy your time with him

Comment

Working...
                        X