Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Being a student and in a LDR

Hey everyone

Being a student and in a LDR can be quite challenging sometimes... I'm in my final year at high school and things are very hectic as you might guess. I was wondering if there is anyone else in a similar situation. Would be great to chat and share tips/experiences. Anyone?

I was in an LDR until a few months into my senior year of high school. Honestly, it is challenging, but remember that your school work has to come first. Most days I'd get home and finish my homework before going online or calling my SO on the phone, so it would all be out of the way and I could devote my time to things I enjoy. My current SO and I being in the last semester of college now, we both see the same patterns developing, except sometimes we work together while on Skype, since it makes us feel a little better since we don't get much time together to begin with. We also talk to each other about our plans and anxieties about the coming transition.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I started my LDR when I was a sophomore in high school and now I'm in my first year of college and although my SO was already out of high school when we met I still have tons of student LDR knowledge if you have any specific questions.

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

My LDR started in the summer... and you can imagine, when school started again it's a lot more difficult to talk with my SO. We try to talk with each other as much as possible. It's not ideal, but we'll just try to cope with it.
        You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

I was also a sophomore when we started our relationship. I think the main problem at the moment is not being able to find enough time (well, not as much as we could before!) to spend time together. Sure, we get to text each other during the day and talk at night but I gotta admit I miss our old games and movie nights. How do you deal with that?

Comment

mhnm, I sometimes game with my SO online.... While being in video calls/regular calls on skype. It's different, but it gives the illusion of being together.
            With movie nights, you can both start a movie at the same time and watch it "together". I think there is an option on skype called screen sharing, so that you are in a call while watching the screen of the other person... It's handy if you watch movies on your pc ;P
            You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

Originally posted by Kaisukaru View Post
              I was also a sophomore when we started our relationship. I think the main problem at the moment is not being able to find enough time (well, not as much as we could before!) to spend time together. Sure, we get to text each other during the day and talk at night but I gotta admit I miss our old games and movie nights. How do you deal with that?
              Is there a reason you've become busier like school work or something? I think the best way to maintain date nights is to plan a specific night that's usually free-ish for both of you and then reschedule everything else around it. Set up a time where you both can just be together without any outside interruptions.

Notes:
              Met: 8.17.09
              Started Dating: 8.20.09
              First Met: 10.2.10
              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Not anymore, but there was a time I was in senior high and Obi was in post-secondary education, and it became tough. Studying together is still a way to be together though. Multi-tasking also works. It's fairly easy to hold a conversation and cook dinner/ wash dishes at the same time, you can sleep and skype at the same time... You can read each others notes aloud - it's much nicer and easier to remember something your SO tells you rather than something you read.

Other than that, remember that when you are NP (near proximity) life will still get in the way of spending time together. So this is good practice!
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I met my SO this June. During the summer I had a lot of time to talk to him, but now that I'm in my Senior year if high school there are other things I have to focus on which kind of makes handling a LDR difficult at times.

Comment

Working...
                  X