No announcement yet.

What to wear to meet SO's parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens What to wear to meet SO's parents?

Hey all,

I was thinking ahead to the day that I meet my SO's parents. Of course, being a fashionista and all, I have a multitude of clothes. XD I dress by the following phrase: "Dress decently but fashionably!" I'd like to dress smartly but nicely. I also like showing my geeky side (Pokémon, Super Mario, etc).

Maybe I'm overthinking this? Hahaha. I find the way that I present myself in situations such as this one very important.

What did you wear/would you wear to meet your SO's parents? Discussify.

Random note: My SO is Dutch and around 5'7". I imagine that his parents and brother are around the same (if not taller). I'm Asian and 5' 2". Are heels a good/bad idea?

Heels at 13? Wow. I waited until I was around ~16 to start wearing them, and even then it took me until ~19 to get comfortable enough in them that I can walk around the city/run in them. I can't even remember what I was wearing when I met my boyfriend's parents - it was either a denim dress with black lace detail and a light vest thrown on top, or a blue dress with brown belt and brown tights. I wasn't worrying so much about how I was dressed (because I'm always typically dressed in a way I wouldn't mind his parents to see) as much as I was worrying about meeting them. But then again he had been dating his ex for 6 years and I felt weird being the "new girl."
    So, here you are
    too foreign for home
    too foreign for here.
    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I think at 13 his parents do not expect you to wear anything too fancy!
      I think like Ejoriah said wearing a dress is never wrong. I'd probably leave the heels at home and wear shoes that I feel comfortable with.

When I met his parents I was wearing my nice black pants and a shirt my man chose, really not too fancy.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

You definitely don't need to be stressing about this! Just dress conservatively--you don't want to be showing off a lot of skin or anything lol. No need to put too much thought into this. Anything cute and simple is perfectly fine.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your kind and helpful replies! ^_^ Y'all are so nice.

@Ejoriah: Yeah, I've got heels lol XD they're 2.5 inches, not too painful. Dutch people are amazingly tall though, I'd look like a mouse next to a crowd of elephants T-T

I'd probably go with a dress with a floral pattern, and a cardigan. I'll probably opt for ballet flats: they seem like a safer option. ^^

Comment

Working...
          X