Telling Parents About LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Telling Parents About LDR

So, my parents think everyone online is a pedophile, and I'm 15, my boyfriend is turning 17 soon. My parents have caught me in other LDRs, and they were never happy about it. I love my boyfriend more than I have ever loved any of my ex's, and I don't think we will break up anytime soon, if we do. Our relationship has only been about a month, but we have loved eachother for around a year. We have skyped, so he isn't a creep or anything, and I've been craving his touch. Neither of us plan on having sex before marriage, so we're fine in that aspect, but it hurts me, I sometimes start to cry because I can't see him, and it's been driving me to the point I want to tell my parents, but they might take any connection I have to him. I don't know how I would cope with loosing him, I did for a few days, and after the shock, I was upset until I convinced him to come back and talk to me about why. (It was resolved, and if something bothers him that badly again he said he'd talk to me about it). But this time it'd be longer, much longer, but if I can get them to understand, maybe they'll let me meet him. His parents don't know either, and I don't think he plans on telling them until he comes here or I go there to visit, which isn't the best thing to do, and he doesn't want to meet mine because of questioning. I was thinking about skypeing him and taking it out to the living room so they can see he isn't a pedophile... But they'd want to see his parents... I'm so split, I don't want to loose him and I don't want to wait 3 years to meet him, what should I do? Thanks, and sorry if I kinda started to ramble...

Well if you want to be able to see him, you'll eventually have to tell your parents. I think the idea of having him on skype to meet your parents is good, but why won't he tell his parents? If you're going to tell yours I think it's only fair that he tells his too. Then you can maybe skype his parents so you know them just in case you visit.
    It's probably kind of intimidating to tell your parents, but once you do you'll be even closer to seeing him
    Good luck!

Comment

He doesn't know where they stand on the matter, I might talk to him about it again, but I can't Skype him until I get my tablet laptop thing, since my laptop decided to break. >.<. Overall though, my mom has seemed more open minded than my dad, so I'd probably tell her without my dad... But I'd be 18 when I meet him otherwise, meaning my parents wouldn't be able to stop me, if I get kicked out I'd just go to a relatives house or something. I'm just scared I'll loose everything and be unable to see him, I spend a lot of time online, but timezones wouldn't allow me enough time to talk to him from school. I'm an hour ahead, and I don't go to my friends houses that much...

Comment

Hi Okay, I was in a similar position as you were, with the being afraid to tell my parents and everything. The thing is, if you two do plan on meeting, your parents are going to have to know about it--there's really no way around it. So will his. The worst thing to do is hide it and go behind your parents' backs to meet him. They'll lose their trust with you. I was afraid of telling mine, but I really wanted to see him. So I sucked it up and told them about it. I knew it wasn't going to be easy and I was terrified of what they would say. It took a while to get them to come around, but they admitted they're glad I told them instead of lying to meet him behind their backs. Before we met, my parents talked to his on the phone and my mom met him over Skype to see I was being legit. This is a good idea--have him on Skype and allow your parents to meet him. They'll be a lot more comfortable with the idea of ya'll meeting. He'll have to eventually tell his parents about it too. It's going to suck, but it has to be done. Especially if ya'll plan on staying serious and meeting. Good luck!

Comment

No, I plan on telling them for safety reasons. Just because someone doesn't have a criminal record doesn't mean they won't commit a crime. So I'd want to take someone with me like my mom, but if I have to wait, I will. Thing is, I'd rather wait 3 years than loose him completely, yeah, the distance hurts, but I'll find ways to cope with it better. I wouldn't meet him behind their backs at all, but if they were against it and kicked me out, I would still go, I'd be 18, and they no longer can tell me what to do. So, pretty much completely rebel against them.

Comment

I feel your pain here... I've also had trouble with parents. My SO is a wonderful person, and I plan on marrying her someday ( :3 ) but I need to get my parents to accept that she isn't done random pedophile first. Trust me, though, you have it waaaaaayyy easier off, mainly because you have Skype... She isn't allowed to use Skype, so there aren't many ways to prove her legitimacy. However, if you plan a day where your parents meet each other, I'm sure it would work out fine.
            Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, I'm planning on letting them meet on Skype, and even if I can't go and see him, at least Skype sleepovers would be easier...

Comment

Working...
              X