So telling my parents about LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens So telling my parents about LDR

So basiclly I met this girl over a iphone game, and we clicked like right away and I have know her for about a year, I finally asked her out over a Skype call and she said yes I was so happy but at the start I knew it would be hard since she's not suppose to date anyone until she's 18, she's 15 now. Now I don't know what to do about telling my parents about this, even though they met online, (My dad from America, my step mom from New Zealand) and they've been married 10 years now. I'm just worried their not going to approve, I just don't know I feel like their not going to take this seriously even though they met online, any help would be nice.

I can totally relate to you.
    I met my boyfriend in 2012 on website omegle. We instantly clicked too. we started dating in September of 2012. I hid my relationship from my parents (and most everyone else) for 6 months. I was scared that no one would think that such a thing could be 'real' and would dismiss it like it wasn't real. When in reality, I love him with all my heart and I know that its real. When I did eventually reveal my relationship to my parents they were mad. My mom is very big on online safety and she NEVER liked me speaking with anyone I didn't know online (I WAS 19 YEARS OLD). Now, everyone has come to accept the fact that I'm with him, and I'm stay with him for as long as possible. But there are times when people aren't always accepting.. it's frustrating, but understandable I guess.

Now, in your situation, I would hope that your parents would understand how you are feeling and be accepting of it. Especially since you KNOW for a fact that it is actually her that you have been speaking with. People who have been in this situation before are the most understanding. Just go for it! Ultimately they cannot stop you from loving who you love!! It's your life, if you wait around for approval from everyone, you wont get anything you want in life. (:

Comment

I think maybe because they met online they would more than likely have a better understanding than those people who have never had an online relationship before. Find an appropriate time to sit down with both of them, maybe during dinner, and bring up the topic casually. Maybe mention her as a friend to begin with and discuss how you met and how long you have been talking. Mention where she is from then slowly mention that you are dating. Ask them to just listen to you first before they ask any questions or share any advice/opinions.

I wish you the best!

Comment

I was absolutely terrified of telling my parents as well.
        Luckily, your parents have experience with LDRs and so, I think they'll be understanding.

What I did is separately tell my mom, then later my dad.
        I felt it was more personal to tell each parent seperately so I cojld get both opinions.
        Go to them when you feel confident and ready.
        I told my parents after being sure that It'd be a long term relationship.
        best of luck

Comment

You probably donīt want to hear that now, but she is 15, which is really really young and also she shouldnīt be dating till 18. I donīt think the best way how to start a relationship is by breaking some rules. Why canīt you two just stay friends and see if you still have connection after a longer time and then talk about it with parents etc. I donīt know how old are you, but they might take it more seriously when both of you are older and know more about each other and you proved you are commited to the relationship.

Comment

Taylor, I love thissss. I met my boyfriend on Omegle as well. My parents don't allow me to date, but I still do it anyways. (18 for crying out loud!!!) although I haven't met him in person, we have been dating for about 11 months now.. We plan on meeting June 20th of this year. And I am so so excited. I am just worried about one tiny detail....telling my parents. You see, I am kinda waiting until he gets here to introduce them. Hahahaha. It's better to come straight out with him. He is the love of my life and I plan on showing him off to the world. I will be leaving to college soon, and I know they will hate me because they will think that I am going to throw away my career for him. He is from Europe, and I am from Texas. I plan on staying here til I finish college and he agrees with me. He wants the best for me and is willing to come and visit me whenever possible. I just want my parents to love him and accept him for who he is.

I would love to talk to you more about this, I have friends who know about him, but it's not the same since they don't understand what it takes to keep a long distance relationship strong. Well hope to talk to you !!

Comment

But why you wanna tell them right now, means just keep your relation secret for now and when the right time come open the cards. And yes i would suggest avoid meeting online.

Comment

Working...
              X