Never had an LDR before...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Never had an LDR before...

There's this guy named Nicholas that I met not too long ago, maybe 5 months ago. Since then, we've been talking everyday and even Skyped each other a few times. I absolutely love his company and who he is! So kind, gentle, funny, entertaining, and, of course, pretty cute! We have tons in common too! If he lived where I was, I'd date him in a heartbeat! We just click, as if we knew each other before we met. But the problem is, he's kind of 1280 miles apart (2061 kilometers)...

Another problem I face is that if we were to date, my parents would forbid me to have communication with him. I don't just want to keep this a secret either, I did that once and it ended with being grounded for 2 years :/ I don't think I could stand the thought of no communication with him just because we developed feelings for each other. I know, I know, it most likely does send my parents red flags if they hear their daughter is in a relationship with a guy 1280 miles away, but... I can't say I don't like him, nor can I simply stop :/

How things are going, we may end up in a relationship together, but I've never been in a LDR and he hasn't been in a relationship ever! Then the conflict of my parents is a huge issue Any kind of words of advice would be really appreciated... Thank you!

I can't really give you any advice on the how to handle the parent side not being a parent, and being a bit older than you; but I can imagine that they must have been very upset and you must have been a bit younger than you are now to be grounded for 2 years.

At 17, ultimately you can keep this a secret until you are 18 and then your parents can't tell you what you can or can't do in your life anymore - they can advise but you have control.

knowing how your parents would probably react, I'd be tempted to take it slowly, make sure that between you both that this is what you want, and then bring it up with your parents at a later date. You are both young and relationships and LDR's are not easy at the best of times and I am not saying at all that you won't work out, I am saying that you both have a lot of big life choices and experiences still to live, and it may be that you both are not on the same road just now so don't rush into anything too hastily.

all the best

Comment

Your parents need to understand that you have to evolve and go through experiences of your own. If you are honest and mature about your relationship, they have to give you your space. I went throught the same thing with my parents, until I had a serious discussion with them and made them understand how I feel about my then boyfriend. I was open and showed them respect, and they offered me respect for my relationship in return. As far as your relationship goes, communication is definitely the best way to connect, being long-distance. If things get serious, you can find a solution to it, as long as you two form this special bond. When I had difficulty with my current partner, I got in touch with Collete on e-mail and she sent me a Love Reading, which kind of saved my relationship. I also asked about my compatibility and she offered some very sound advice. And, after all, we all need some answers. You can send Collete a message on her facebook page, call4advice. I hope you will find happiness!

Comment

Just a quick update: We talked about our feelings for each other today and decided we both like each other a lot (not quite love but definitely more than a crush). We're still not sure about a relationship quite yet, and I'm still teeter-tottering the idea of telling my parents about him or not. Both of your responses (MaryAnn23 and p_b82) are really helpful!! I'm hoping we can take things farther in good time! And I'll look into Collete for advice and help Thank you so much!!

Comment

Glad I was able to help.

Great news that you are both on the same page as it were and happy to take it slowly and continue to get to know each other.

Handling the parents sometimes is not easy, I had issues myself when I dropped the bombshell of possible emigration a few months back, with hindsight I should have mentioned her name sooner in conversation when we were just friends rather than have this woman suddenly appear. But hindsight is a wonderful thing, and for me it was only the fact my Dad was scared of the thought of never seeing me again.
          Not saying you should, but it could be a way for them to get a little more accepting if they know you have a friend online rather than suddenly be told you have a boyfriend....

Comment

Working...
          X