Speaking about LDRs to a class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Speaking about LDRs to a class

I'm seventeen, and my speech class has been assigned to pick a unique topic to inform the class about. I have chosen to do my speech about long-distance relationships, but I am struggling with how to explain LDRs to people who have never experienced one. Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about this?

I wrote a paper about them once, and I started by talking about the different kinds and giving examples. Such as, "When your girlfriend goes to college and you dont want to break up. Or that girl who is dating the marine. And ever since the internet has become popular, its become increasingly popular to meet people online and develop friendships. But sometimes those friendships develop into more."

Comment

I think it's awesome that you chose that as your topic... I think you should just explain it for what they are. They're relationships that happen to have more distance than "normal" in them. They're still relationships, however they come with more distance than what people may be used to and many different challenges. They tend to be stronger and have better communication/bonding than other relationships due to the lack of physical aspects and the increase in the need for good communication skills.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LovingAcrossTheAtlantic View Post
        I wrote a paper about them once, and I started by talking about the different kinds and giving examples. Such as, "When your girlfriend goes to college and you dont want to break up. Or that girl who is dating the marine. And ever since the internet has become popular, its become increasingly popular to meet people online and develop friendships. But sometimes those friendships develop into more."
        I would do this. But at the beginning of the speech, I'd probably find out and pinpoint all the misconceptions people have about LDRs and add some humor about the whole topic of "catfishing." It'll not only grab their attention, but it would be also easier for you to lead into explaining how LDRs really are to those who haven't experienced it. xD

Comment

Working...
        X