I don't laugh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens I don't laugh...

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a few months. We are 5000 miles apart, and have never met in person. In the time we've been together, we've shared tons of happy memories. I've been happier with her than I've ever been in my life! There's one problem though.

Something about me is that I don't laugh when I'm alone. I know that when I'm chatting with her I'm not technically alone, but physically, I am usually alone when I talk to her. When we talk about something funny or see something funny, we will both "LOL" and "LMAO" and such, but I never actually laugh out loud as the phrase suggests. She does; she's "died" of laughter many times. I never have. Not with her, not with anyone. When I'm out and around people physically, I can end up laughing so hard I cry (and I have many times); but when I'm alone on chat, I just can't.

The problem comes in the fact that she didn't know this. She had been under the impression that I had been laughing along with her the whole time, when in reality she has never actually made me laugh hard. She's made me giggle, snicker, etc, but never laugh hard. I told her tonight that I don't laugh hard when I'm alone, and didn't realise that she was under the impression that I was laughing along with her (It should have been obvious to me, I know). She had a hard time going to bed tonight because she was so disappointed and embarrassed that all the times in the past, it had been "one sided." However, just because I don't laugh doesn't mean I don't feel happy; all those times I had been "LOL"ing with her, I had a smile so wide it hurt my face, it almost felt as though I was laughing on the inside. I feel so happy when I'm with her... I want to laugh with her. I'd laugh if I could.

Not really sure what to ask, but if anyone has any thoughts, opinions, advice, whatever you have, I'd love to hear it. Mostly I just wanted to tell someone how I was feeling. Feel free to leave a comment.

Does anyone actually laugh when they text lol or lmao???? I never do. I might find amusing and use it, but yes I don't ever laugh either. My mom laughs at everything, watching a show alone she is in hysterics, but me i think stuff is funny but I don't ever laugh or even giggle out loud. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with me. Is just not the way I show my amusement

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
      Does anyone actually laugh when they text lol or lmao???? I never do. I might find amusing and use it, but yes I don't ever laugh either. My mom laughs at everything, watching a show alone she is in hysterics, but me i think stuff is funny but I don't ever laugh or even giggle out loud. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with me. Is just not the way I show my amusement
      I'm like your mom! I can be watching tv alone and you'd think I am with a large group of people as I bust out laughing...like rolling on the floor laughing haha! The same with texting...I will laugh really hard from reading a funny text - but that's me
      Met Online : July 2013
      Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
      2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
      3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
      Proposal : December 2014
      Closed distance : February 2015
      Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

I agree with snow_girl, i dont laugh either when i use lol or lmao. People express their feelings in different ways depending on their personality etc. Many people don't laugh when they are alone, I personnaly do but my SO told me he doesnt. It's rare when I see him dying from laughter, he just giggles or smiles but tbh it doesn't bother me because he told me he doesn't really laugh even when he's with his friends.
        But hey, at least you smile, it's not like if you didn't care about her etc.^^
        Last edited by sweetybrioche; May 31, 2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I often laugh when saying lol and even when I don't type lol, I write then, "You made me laugh". I've laughed in public on a bus which I found was embarassing. But when I read this post my first thought was that people are different. And that you don't have to laugh out loud all the time. You write that you smile, I think it's nice to hear someone smile too. I'm happy to make my SO smile. I wonder if she feels that way (I do understand her feelings), does she know that you're happy even when not laughing? It might help here a little to think that.

Comment

i always type LOL or hahahahhahaah x100 longer but i dont really laugh too even if i think its funny. Its just a text for me unless i have someone to share with. It is normal.

Comment

I don't laugh everytime I used lol or if my SO uses it, I'm sure she doesn't always laugh either. Yes, sometimes we do but the majortiy of the time, no. Doesn't mean we don't find each other funny...

I think you both may be overthinking this.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
              Married April 18th, 2015!!
              Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I really don't see the problem. You enjoy spending time With her, you feel amused so you write that you laugh...It doesn't really matter if you laugh out loud or feel fuzzy on the inside. I can do either, depending on circumstance.

I think you overthink this because you have not met in person, and also seem to write more than talking on Skype, to see each other's body language. This is not actually a problem, don't spin one out of thin air.
                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
                X