My Story! [So Far]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens My Story! [So Far]

This is off of my Tumblr dedicated to mine and Daniel's relationship, which has been ongoing for seven months.

Although Daniel and I are both YouTube users, Daniel and I met on Facebook. I noticed that he was liking a lot of my posts and I thought that he was cute, so I went and looked at his pictures. I ended up accidentally tagging myself in one, so I messaged him to apologize. He said that it was okay and we began casual conversation. I found out that he was from Brisbane, Australia, but that didn’t stop me from developing an interest in him. I am from North Adams, Massachusetts, so it is a far cry from the continent of Australia. It was around my seventeenth birthday [February 8th] when this developed. I was incredibly nervous to talk to him. I kept talking and raving on to my friend Cameron about how handsome I believed Daniel was, but I told him that I was so nervous to talk to him because I liked him so much. Then Cameron proverbially knocked some sense into me. He told me that if I really want this guy, I have to continue talking to him and show that I wanted him. So, I took his advice and Daniel and I just clicked. I felt a great connection with Daniel, and bit the bullet. I asked him to be my boyfriend on Valentine’s Day of this past year. It was the beginning of a prosperous relationship. Despite our age difference–I am 17, he is 19–we’re happy together. We began going into love conversations, as well as deep conversations about our futures.

This was until April/May of this year. I began to grow tired of the distance, and soon began to question the relationship. It was during this time that I became very lonely, caught up in a lot of school work, and began to feel very isolated. It was because of this that I decided to sever my relationship with Daniel initially because the distance broke my heart. We were both heartbroken during this time. I was in Boston on a school field trip, and tried to ignore my new found singledom in the lights of the city. I began to pursue real life relationships, and found a potential suitor on the internet. However, the male wasn’t right for me and very interested in one thing instead of who I was. The date was extremely awkward. Not only that, I was lonelier than ever before. I was about to ask Daniel out again, but then became involved with another female.
    Then a life event hit. My mother was hospitalized for having several strokes. She had been having these for a while, and we didn’t know what they were. We expected her to be in the hospital for two days. She ended up requiring major surgery on her 99% blocked carotid artery. During this time, the person that I was with was there for me a little bit but there wasn’t as much communication as usual. Combined with the stress in my life, I felt even more lonely and couldn’t handle it. I suddenly became a 17 year old who had to take most of the last week of her Junior year of high school off to manage a two bedroom apartment on her own–buying groceries, feeding the cats & taking care of them, and waking up alone. I didn’t know how to handle it, but I felt that I was doing the best that I could.

During this, Daniel was a great support, and during an excursion where I had coffee with a friend, I found myself falling for him once again. I had realized that distance didn’t matter when someone loves you and you love someone deeply. While that I feared for my mother’s life, Daniel was one of the people that made me feel less lonely on my own and one of the reasons that I kept being strong, along with friends that continually supported me. On June 20th, 2015, I felt that there was no longer any point in hiding our feelings for each other. I asked him out again. Now, we’re back together and still happier than ever. My mother is currently recovering, albeit slowly, but recovering. Life isn’t perfect, but it’s getting better. I look forward to some day closing the distance with Daniel and leading a happy life with him.

As of August 24th, we are currently engaged. And trying to make it.

Interesting meeting you, as I'm actually from Cheshire, MA. I never thought I'd run into someone else in the Berkshires in a LDR. Small world, huh? Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you and your S/O are able to stay together through tough times, and I'm happy to hear he was there to support you when your mother was in the hospital. I wish you luck in your relationship, and welcome to the forum!
    "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
    Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
    Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
    Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
    Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
    Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Comment

You are literally about 10 minutes from me! That's so awesome. And aww, thank you! Your relationship began the same day as mine, about a year before mine. Thank you very much.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD.
        Have you and Daniel ever met in real life? You didn't state anywhere in your post.
        Best, Cc.
        Love is patient, Love is kind, Love never fails.

Comment

Unfortunately, me and Daniel have not. We hope to in the near future, however.

Comment

Originally posted by epiphanylove712 View Post
            Unfortunately, me and Daniel have not. We hope to in the near future, however.
            You're engaged to somebody you haven't met?! I suggest you cancel the engagement and tell him to make some effort to come and meet you ASAP. Right now you're in a fantasy relationship, you don't really know each other until you have interacted physically and you know each other habits and traits etc. He could be making up information about himself and you have no way to prove he's lying. Also, you will probably become bored of the relationship again as you did in the past, you're young, you should focus on living your life and don't get in to deep with somebody who hasn't even bothered to buy plane tickets. I said it before and I'll say it again, cancel this pretend engagement and meet first.
            Best, CC.

Comment

It's not that he hasn't bothered to buy tickets, he has no job, and applies everyday to get one. He's really struggling with it.

Comment

I have to agree, being engaged at 17 is way too young, and being engaged to someone you have never even met is just insane.

I'm in my 40's and so is my SO. We are going to meet in person for the first time in just over a month. Only after we have met in person are we going to become official so to speak. Our close friends and family know about the situation and we have no doubt that our relationship is real but you never know until you meet in person whether you work or not.

Why the big rush to get engaged? You have the rest of your life in front of you. Travel. Meet him. Get to know him in person. Do stuff together. Slow down...

You are setting yourself up for a fall here. You've only known each other for 7 months. That way too soon to get engaged even in a closed distance relationship. Plus you are way too young!!! I know I might sound like an old lady to you but I'm very young at heart, if I had my time again I would never have got married so young (I was 26). I feel I missed out greatly on opportunities to travel and see the world because I thought marriage was the be all and end all. It's not.

Get to know each other better. You've barely discovered who you are yet. Does your mother know you're engaged to someone you've never met who lives nearly 10,000 miles away? How does she feel about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn26 View Post
                  I have to agree, being engaged at 17 is way too young, and being engaged to someone you have never even met is just insane.

I'm in my 40's and so is my SO. We are going to meet in person for the first time in just over a month. Only after we have met in person are we going to become official so to speak. Our close friends and family know about the situation and we have no doubt that our relationship is real but you never know until you meet in person whether you work or not.

Why the big rush to get engaged? You have the rest of your life in front of you. Travel. Meet him. Get to know him in person. Do stuff together. Slow down...

You are setting yourself up for a fall here. You've only known each other for 7 months. That way too soon to get engaged even in a closed distance relationship. Plus you are way too young!!! I know I might sound like an old lady to you but I'm very young at heart, if I had my time again I would never have got married so young (I was 26). I feel I missed out greatly on opportunities to travel and see the world because I thought marriage was the be all and end all. It's not.

Get to know each other better. You've barely discovered who you are yet. Does your mother know you're engaged to someone you've never met who lives nearly 10,000 miles away? How does she feel about it?
                  Wise words Unicorn26. I guess your life experience has served you well and you are sensible about your current situation, OP should take on board what you just said.

Comment

I am going to have to agree with the above posts. I am 17 as well. I have been in a relationship with my SO for 9 months (more like 12 because we didnt make things official right away), and have met him in person, and we are even planning to close the distance in a year. Despite the fact that we have met in person, have been in a relationship for a while, and we know that our feelings for each other are true, I would not become engaged to him. Not for another few years, if I can help it. My SO agrees with me.

You are still very young. You really do have your whole life ahead of you. I would just advise that you take things slow. You are still in the honeymoon phase with your SO, so it seems. Feelings can be extremely heightened during that time. That doesn't mean they aren't real, most certainly not. But it does mean that they can be pretty exaggerated. Just take things slow. Give yourself more time to get to know this boy. Meet him in person. Find out if the two of you are truly compatible. Before you even consider pursuing marriage. It's important that you meet in person before you make decisions like this. You will never know if you and another person are TRULY compatible until you spend time together in person. Computer/phone screens hide a lot about a person. No matter how honest that person is. I have talked to my SO nearly every day for a year and a half. Yet there were still a LOT of things that I learned about him that I would not have learned if I hadn't interacted with him in person. All of his weird habits, the way he interacts with other individuals, you name it. It is all very different in person than through a screen. It's important that you get to know all of those things and the person you are in a relationship with, in person. Only then should you make the big decisions, such as marriage.

I know what it's like so be in love with someone. I totally understand how you feel about your SO, but I think you still need to take things a bit (or a lot) more slowly. There's no rush. If the two of you are truly in love, and care deeply for each other... There's no reason to dive head first into things. Just take your time!

I wish you and Daniel the best.
                    ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
                    Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
                    First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
                    Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
                    Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
                    Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

Comment

Hello again to all. I will take into consideration everyone's words and speak to Daniel about this. There's a good chance I'll call everything off, except the relationship, of course. We hope to meet within the next year or so. I can't wait for us to finally visit in person.

Comment

Originally posted by epiphanylove712 View Post
                        Hello again to all. I will take into consideration everyone's words and speak to Daniel about this. There's a good chance I'll call everything off, except the relationship, of course. We hope to meet within the next year or so. I can't wait for us to finally visit in person.

have u guys even video chatted???? being in a relationship with someone u haven't met at 17 isn't the issue..... I'm doing the exact same thing me and my BF haven't met yet but we've also been together over a year and we are not engaged but we have video chatted

Comment

Working...
                        X