Nervous/shy when talking to him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Nervous/shy when talking to him

First of all it's very early days but I thought I should post.
    I met my boyfriend a week yesterday and so far things are going quite well. We've managed to talk on Skype once so far and we have talked over the phone. The problem is, I get really nervous and shy when I talk to him over the phone etc and I'm not sure if that's normal. I've always been a little nervous and quiet due to the fact that I got bullied in primary school quite badly but this is different. I love talking to him but I can't stop being nervous and I really don't know what to do...help?

I think everyone is a bit nervous at the beginning, especially if you're a shy person.

Just give it a bit time, it's first week, it will disappear as the time passes. Try to not think about it and focus on the talk. It also might be easier for you if you will tell about it, I am sure your S/O will understand it and will try to solve it with you.

Comment

I don't think the fact that you are "still" nervous after a week is unusual. I'm in my 30's and I got nervous before talking to my boyfriend (via voice or video) every single time for like a month. Maybe even two months. I think because I was putting pressure on myself to NOT be nervous, that made me MORE nervous. Also, I'm not a phone person at all - I feel awkward even when talking to my closest friends on the phone because if there's a silence I'm like "what's happening?! Hello?? Am I boring you? Describe your current facial expression. I'm sorry". So maybe that's it - the medium of phones and Skype can be difficult. After I met my boyfriend in real life, it became much, much easier. Perhaps it will be the same for you!

So do not fret too much about being nervous. As you said, it's early days. He's still a new entity to you. Things will slowly get easier. Give yourself permission to be nervous - there is nothing wrong with it Maybe even make a joke about it, and take the fear of nerves away. My guy still gets nervous around me (which is adorable, right), and because of it he often starts doing silly things like really bad voice impressions, or turning song lyrics into conversation. It makes me laugh and then we both laugh about how he's nervous and I say how cute that is, and the situation is diffused.

Comment

I'm the exact same I hardly ever talk on the phone because of the same reasons. I normally just walk to my friend's to talk in person rather then on the phone because of it. He was nervous too when we talked on Skype, but with me I was shaking because of how nervous I was. I'm hoping it'll just pass
        Thank you for your help xxx

Comment

Thank you xx

Comment

The early days can really make you nervous, and there's no harm in feeling it. As time passes, you'll get used to your SO, he'll get used to you, you'll get to know each other better, etc. It's just a matter of time, and building things up. I still get shy around my SO, I suppose by a lot of margins we're still in our early days too (7 months together and counting) so don't feel bad about it.

Comment

Working...
            X