Only two people know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Only two people know....

Okay so, my relationship became official in September. Only my two friends know, my parents don't... I want to send my SO a gift for Christmas, but my parents are very nosey and look through everything, so if my SO sent me something back, they'd wonder who it's from, ask why it's from a different country etc. I don't know if I should just wait until I'm 18 so I can get a P.O. box or something in order to make it easier on myself. Anyone ever ran into a problem (or worry) about their parents finding out?
    Why do we fall and not rise into love?
    Because you become vunerable in it.
    -jangandfox (on instagram)

Thats a personal choice. How long until you are 18? Are your parents very strict? I told my mum as soon as I knew things were serious.
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Ella85 View Post
      Thats a personal choice. How long until you are 18? Are your parents very strict? I told my mum as soon as I knew things were serious.
      I turn 18 in May, so not that long. They aren't strict, they are just wary of internet (my dad especially),. My mom knows I talk to people casually about fandom stuff on Twitter... that's as far as she knows though.

Comment

Even at 17 I'm not sure I'd keep a relationship secret from the person who raised me but it is a personal opinion. They probably would be concerned at first.
        Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
        All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

My advice would be, if the relationship is serious, consider just telling your parents. They may be concerned or disapprove at first, but it may be for the best. I was worried about telling my parents about my relationship, but it all ended up being okay when I did and they are very supportive. It is over all up to you, but that is the only advice I have.
          ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
          Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
          First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
          Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
          Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
          Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

Comment

I agree with the other posters and say you should tell your parents. If you feel they may react badly to you dating your SO you could tell them you have an online friend who you want to send things to and they'll send stuff back like you're just modern day pen friends. I did that with my last LDR for awhile and then eventually my mum asked me if i was dating her and I just told her yes. But if you think they won't react too badly then go ahead and tell them, the worst thing would be for them to find out along the line and be upset you never let them even know your SO even existed. Really it's your call though, do whatever you think is the right choice :3
            my girls <3

Josie (SO)
            Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
            Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
            Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
            Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
            Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
            Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
            Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
            All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

This isn't what you're looking for as an answer, but it has to be said: If I were your parents, I'd rather find out by you telling me than by accident. If you're worried about them not taking it well, imagine if they find out you were keeping it a secret. Especially if they are nosey (which honestly, good on them! You're 17, they SHOULD know what's going on in your life), they will find out eventually and the longer you keep it a secret, the worse it'll be for you.

Comment

I completely agree with everyone else. And, just an FYI, your parents probably already know you're dating someone. They're pretty intuitive when it comes to those things. But, they probably don't know anything more than that.

Comment

I have to agree with the others. If the relationship is serious, let your parents know. I told my parents about two months into the relationship. Originally their attitude was "How can you be in love with someone who you met online?" but now they've really warmed up toward my SO, especially since we've already met up twice. I'm sure that if you sit down and talk to your parents, they'll understand. After all, if there's anything we all at LFAD know, it's that love knows no distance!
                  "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
                  Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
                  Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
                  Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
                  Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
                  Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. My parents would never really suspect me of dating anyone because when it comes to having "crushes" on people around me, it doesn't happen. I am a very closed person so they'd never assume me of having a relationship. A few hours ago I would have thought that this relationship wasn't on a serious track, but now I believe it is. However, my SO and I have been talking back and forth about our first meeting, and I think I have a way to tell my parents that won't have them totally freak out. Especically because I haven't come out to them yet.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but thank you all for your advice. I appreciate it.

Comment

I'm pretty close off too, but my parents knew when I had a boyfriend in Highschool. They can tell by how your mood changes and how you act around them, even if you're trying not to be different. Lol.

Comment

The moment I started mentioning my then-best-friend-now-SO to my mum, she knew what was happening. I swear, parents are bionic.

Comment

I've only told a few friends and they were okay with it, just asked a few questions. But I would want to tell my parents but I feel I want to do that when I feel that we're serious. We've known each other for 2 years but only made official (to us) about our love to each other for one year now. I miss a bit to tell my parents and silblings about him, just regular things as "we did this today and it was fun because...".But that will be for later.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycka View Post
                            I've only told a few friends and they were okay with it, just asked a few questions. But I would want to tell my parents but I feel I want to do that when I feel that we're serious. We've known each other for 2 years but only made official (to us) about our love to each other for one year now. I miss a bit to tell my parents and silblings about him, just regular things as "we did this today and it was fun because...".But that will be for later.
                            You don't think that being together in a relationship is serious after a year?

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
                              You don't think that being together in a relationship is serious after a year?
                              Well, I should have been more specifc and some background information, I meant more moving together. And it has been ups and downs but now we're on the right track, it's like building up again(LDR is hard sometimes). Though we're still talking about how to do in the coming year 2016. It's a bit risky with our age gap :/

Comment

Working...
                              X