Announcing a ldr on facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Announcing a ldr on facebook?

Hello everyone I discovered this forum a few days ago and i've been reading the threads here a lot since then.This is my first time posting.I didnt make an introduction on the forum so i am going to briefly explain my situation.Im 16 f from Bulgaria and my boyfriend is also 16 from England.We met 7 months ago and been together for 6 months.At first i was very anxious about telling the important people in my life about my ldr because in my country people are mostly close-minded and i expected a pretty negative response.However i told my parents two months ago(they already knew because they hear me talking to him on skype everyday) and my close friends a bit later.They are all supportive (some more , some less).I love him with all my heart and i know he loves me back the same way.I gained a different perceptive on long distance relationships during our own.I noticed that compared to most teen short distance relationships they can be a lot more intimate and meaningful because you can only communicate.You connect emotionally more because you dont get to do it physically.I realized they are beautiful and you get the chance to find a person who really "clicks" with you because when you think about it the chance of finding the love of your life in your city is pretty low.We are both more mature than teens our age and i believe this is why we get along so well.So back to the main point of this thread.Because i found that ldrs are very beautiful (despite the great hardships that come with it) i thought about updating my facebook relationship status to" in a relationship" with him to maybe show some people in my country that its a possible thing to do.But then i thought "wait , wont i get too much negativity for it?". It seems stupid i know but im very confused about it.I wanted to ask if any of you guys have announced your ldr on facebook and if so how did people react to it and your overall opinions on this action.Would you do it?If not - why so?Thank you so much for reading and i wish you all happy holidays

I met my SO on Facebook. My relationship status isn't on Facebook, it's just blank.

We have a ton of mutual friends on Facebook, they know we are together, I don't feel the need to broadcast to the Internet that I am in a relationship, and neither does my SO. It's between us two.

Even at my age, and I'm old enough to be your mum (although in my head I'm about 12) I still got grief about my LDR, still do. But those that matter support me and that includes my family. If people don't support you, then they really have no place in your life.

In the grand scheme of things your Facebook relationship status is really not that important.

Comment

I announced my relationship status on Facebook a few months after we had been dating. Mind you, I was only 15 at the time, so I was very into having it announced to show people that I was in a relationship. I guess to me at that time, it was the only way I could show people who I was with because my SO and I were unable to meet at that time. I didn't get negativity per say, but looking back on it now, I can see how unimportant it is to have it on Facebook or make it Facebook official.

I agree with Unicorn, the relationship status on Facebook is not important. You can add it, or you can leave it blank. Mine is still on Facebook because I never took it down. I would say this is one issue to not stress about

Comment

Thank you both for your replies yes i suppose it is unnecessary to do so , i usually prefer to keep things between my SO , close friends and family but i thought something was wrong with me to think like this (like im ashamed of him or something) but now i see its a perfectly normal thing to do.

Comment

It's really whatever. If you want to do it, you do it, if not then don't. Up to you

Comment

Facebook... eh, it's a mixed bag. It can cause more problems that it's worth. I'd just leave it blank if it were me. Not everyone needs to know your business.

Comment

The best thing to do is just weigh up the pros and cons really, if it seems like a good idea and nothing really bad can happen from it, go for it. the reason my SO and I don't have our relationship on facebook is because most of her family doesn't know and she already doesn't have that ,any family connections and I don't want to be the cause of her losing those few she has. But I imagine in your situation if you want to share that you're dating your SO it would be totally fine the only thing that could really happen is people make the odd comment about it.
              my girls <3

Josie (SO)
              Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
              Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
              Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
              Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
              Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
              Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
              Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
              All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

My SO and I changed our statuses about 3 months after we started dating, after he told his parents about us. I told mine within the first month. We didn't really change the status to show off or anything. It was more of a, "Hey, I'm not single any more. Might as well change this", type thing. It was also because at the time, my boyfriend had this friend that wouldn't back off, and I wanted to just make it very clear to mostly her that he wasn't available. Sounds dumb, I know. Haha! But I was a year younger at the time and a lot has changed. After a year of dating, and knowing that we are both committed, that kind of jealousy is no longer there. At least for the majority of the time. :P

If you want to change your status, that is up to you. But it really isnt necessary. It's just another label in our label filled world. Lol. If you think that is the easiest way to tell people about your LDR, and it is what you want, by all means.... Do it! In the end, what other people think about your relationship doesn't matter anyways. It is about you, and your partner, after all.

Best of luck to you both in your relationship. LDR's are tough, but definitely worth it when you find the right person to go through it with.
                ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
                Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
                First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
                Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
                Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
                Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

Comment

Mine is just blank. The people that need to know already know we're together and well the rest of them I don't really think it's any of their business.

Comment

Relationship on fb is not so important any many people have fake relationship on fb.

Comment

I met my boyfriend through Facebook (he asked me out on Skype a year or so later) and I'd say like... a month or two later I had it on Facebook. I definitely let my family know first, and then after they had a chance to meet him (when i first saw him in person too <3) then I posted it on Facebook. I'm in the USA and I had a lot of awesome positivity! Many people asked me questions, but no one gave me any crap for it.
                      Go for it if you're comfortable with it!!

Comment

I announced my relationship on Facebook! At the time only my parents, brother and internet friends knew. I was nervous for how my sixth form and Uni friends were going to react to meeting him online and I couldn't bring myself to tell them about it yet. So this way the relationship status simultaneously announced it to everyone at the same time. It went absolutely fine! Felt so good to actually be able to change it after all these years. <3
                        02.01.16 <3

Comment

Hi! I finally got a Facebook only after 7 months of dating my SO. So we were already together when I registered for FB. I automatically said I was in a relationship because I thought that was the thing. It just said "Person A is in a relationship with Person B". I didn't go all fancy and explained anything about it being a Long Distance Relationship. That was the whole post! I got 2 likes on it and no comments. In my opinion, it was either no one saw or no one cared, which is fine by me. I did it so I personally feel like my account is updated AND as an attempt that no one else tries to hit on me because they'll see I am already in a relationship.

I agree with others when they say that stating your relationship status is not needed and can be kept to only your closest loved ones. I just did it as a "hey look!! already taken!! no one bother me". No one but my closest loved ones know its a LDR. I feel like that part is not necessary. Again, it is all up to you! In my experience, no one cares really. Of course you'll get positive comments and negative ones if you decide to state it's an LDR, that's always. You do you

Comment

Originally posted by Pastel View Post
                            I finally got a Facebook
                            Welcome to hell~ Okay don't mind me I just hate Facebook

Anyway, I'd never announce anything on Facebook unless it became really really serious, be it a ldr or cdr. I mean, it's just me but I am not into it too much, I'd rather tell all my friends privately.
                            However who knows, might as well do it just to see people's reactions sometime.

Comment

Working...
                            X