Boyfriend just ended our relationship :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boyfriend just ended our relationship :-(

I am new to the boards and needed a place to vent to folks who probably can understand better than anyone else.
    My boyfriend of 1 yr 20 months just told me last Tuesday night that he thought we should end the relationship. We live 2.5 hours away and share mutual friends where I live. His best friend is a friend of mine although he is not the one that got us together. The longest we have ever gone without seeing eachother is 2 weeks and we would try to speak daily.
    Overall we had a great relationship but the distance thing came up more than once before as well as neither one of us were in a position to move. There were times I questioned whether it was worth it or not and felt like calling it off a few times myself.
    We have 5 children between us and both have shared custody that will never change on his end, but potentially if I push it, could change on my end. We had no end date in site though..until my youngest got of school in 7 years. I guess I always had hope that something would work out.
    Anyway, after we got mad at eachother one night while I was up visiting (not a big fight, i was upset he basically passed out on me), he said he couldn't do it anymore. We talked about it a little, but unfortunately my ambien had kicked and I don't remember all the conversation. We talked the next day and I asked if we were ok and he said he wasn'ts sure. That things were so hard, and with 5 kids it was just crazy. He said let's leave things how they are for now but that he had some thinking to do (which he is horrible at - he'd rather not think and have to make hard decisions). I asked him if he needed space to think and he said no, that that wasn't necessary. We agreed, although I was fighting back thte tears, that if things weren't working out we both wanted to remain friends. He was my best friend and I thought my soul mate - hence that why was I was willing to work so hard.
    Fast forward to Tuesday (with hardly any contact from him all weekend) and I pressured him for some answers. His answer was to say he thought we needed to go our seperate ways (paraphrasing) He sited that he honestly had a really hard time dealing with my son, that he did't see us getting married right now and that I needed to move on with my life and not wait around for him to decide. I asked him if he was still in love with and he said yes. I asked if he pictured his life without me and he said that no, not particulary. I asked if there was anyone else or did he just want to be single, again he stated no. This is a good, honest, guy so I'm taking him at his word.
    We had plans to go the beach in June - kids and all. My children really adore him and his kids so they were really looking forward to it. I said I could still cancel the trip without any fees and he said he still wanted me and my kids to go and that he would still pay his half. I said I would just book somewhere else and not wot worry about that. I asked him about getting his things and he said not to worry about that that we would see eachother and talk to eachother again and we'd worry about that later. I asked what to say to the kids as I knew this would be hard on them. He said to tell them we were on a break. I asked why I should say that if it's over and he said again, you will see me again. I asked if a break meant we would see other people and he told me that if I wanted to that I should. I asked him if he wanted to and he said no, I have no plans to see or have sex with other people. I said ok and that I had to go and we said goodbye.
    Not a word from his since. We didn't say when we would talk again so I'm leaving it up to him to contact me. I did send him an email Thursday thanking him for all he had done for my kids and I and that I now realized that I truly had things I needed to work on irregardless of if we got back together. I wanted him to be happy and I would always love him.
    I really think we can work things out and I'm very hurt he is giving up. He just went off his ant-depressants about a month ago and I wonder if that is part of the problem. It may be he wanted to get out for awhile and just never had the guts to do it. I just don't know. Any advise, suggestions?

There is no need to post twice, people will see and respond to it as they see fit. I'm not sure what to say except I'm sorry you're going through this, and I'm sorry your kids have to go through this too.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X