Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice - feel lost after SO leaves to go back home

Hi everyone

I'm new here but just want to get some advice.

I'm in a long distance relationship for the last year and 5 months. I live in Dublin, Ireland and he lives in Ohio, USA. He's been over to me 4 times so far and I've been only able to get over once so far. I'm finding it harder and harder to see him leave but I know that it will end and we will be together but it still gets me upset.

We both love each other very much and have talked about our future but we need to sort out stuff before he can make the move so it won't be for a while till that happens.

Is there anyone in a similar position? How do you stay calm and refocus when your SO leaves to go home?

Thank you in advance 🙂

Hello

It is always damn hard when having to part for some time again til the next meeting comes up. What really helps though is being able to have some new time for a next trip in mind already.
    I guess the best thing you can do to not drown in the sadness too much is going on with your daily life, the things you can focus on there but also be in communication, spend time together how it is possible in the distance, watch movies, and so on (rabb.it is a fun platform to do so ). Looking up all that is required to make permanent steps in the future can be another help, because even if some stuff is sounding very complicated and like much work the earlier you know the better you can both come up with solutions and start working on it

All the best,
    Lune

Comment

Thank you for your advice Luna, we have been looking at the legal stuff for him moving, it all seems very complicated but we will go to see a solicitor the next time he comes over, we do talk every day and are very open with each other, which is great, hopefully it won't be too long before we see each other again

Comment

I will be following your story with great interest Ariel, as I am in Ireland and my SO is in the US too. Our plan is for him to move here as well, so it will be nice to see someone else who has done the same thing, and how you navigate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic Crossroads View Post
          I will be following your story with great interest Ariel, as I am in Ireland and my SO is in the US too. Our plan is for him to move here as well, so it will be nice to see someone else who has done the same thing, and how you navigate it.
          I will keep you updated, let me know how it works for you too. How are you finding the LDR? For me I'm finding it hard but I know it'll be so worth it when we get it sorted

Comment

We haven't met as yet, but I am going over in february for a week. I am very excited and incredibly nervous. It is the ultimate first date, really.
            We are doing well so far. It was much harder at the start, I think, because you are so used to being with the other person, as opposed to not. But I am dreading leaving him to be back here already. I'm trying to set up a schedule to keep myself busy when I return, so I don't fall into a depression.
            I have a very rough idea in my head of how it may come together in the end, but I know it will be a long slow road to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic Crossroads View Post
              We haven't met as yet, but I am going over in february for a week. I am very excited and incredibly nervous. It is the ultimate first date, really.
              We are doing well so far. It was much harder at the start, I think, because you are so used to being with the other person, as opposed to not. But I am dreading leaving him to be back here already. I'm trying to set up a schedule to keep myself busy when I return, so I don't fall into a depression.
              I have a very rough idea in my head of how it may come together in the end, but I know it will be a long slow road to get there.
              You're gonna have a great time, try not think about leaving him while your there Just take in every moment you both have together and have fun (I was doing the exact same thing so I know it's hard to not think about it), I definitely agree with keeping yourself busy it does help and surround yourself with friends, you'll still miss him but it won't feel as harsh

Comment

Working...
              X