Work Abroad Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Abroad Programs

Personally, I'm a big fan of all abroad programs but, as I'm almost finished with my studies, I have started to look into working aborad programs.
    I'd like to know which ones you know or you did, so that we can all benefit from these scholarships!

Erasmus Placement: Last semester I was able to close the distance and move to Germany because I found an intership and I was paid from the European Union. The program is called Erasmus Placement and it si valid in Europe only. It has to be 3 months minimum, 12 months maximum. I wrote about this experience for an online magazin of Italian expatriates, if you want you can try to read it here (or translate it with Google!): Internship a Berlino con Erasmus Placement

Leonardo da Vinci: When I was 18 I also did a short program called Leonardo da Vinci. It's valid in Europe only. There is a 3 weeks version (what I did) and a 3 months one. Usually it is not paid, but you get an intensive language course, accomodation and food for free!

I just moved to Costa Rica and got a job, no program There's tons of volunteer programs here, but you have to pay for them which I think is total BS. I'm not going to PAY to work for free.

When I studied abroad I went through a university in New York. After one semester, I directly enrolled into the university because it was much cheaper. One big scholarship that helped me a lot was the Gilman Scholarship. I got the full amount for each semester. For US citizens only, and you have to receive a Pell Grant.

Comment

I did Erasmus for students.
      It's only for the EU and for university students as far as I know so it must be a bit different compared to the Erasmus placement.
      I went to the UK for a whole year. Not only do they pay for tuition fees you also get a monthly support around 90-100 Euros a month. It is also very well organised. There are many information events at uni, both in your home country and at your new uni abroad, where they explain everything important and welcome you. It was a really amazing time and I can reccomend it to everyone

Comment

I did the European Voluntary Service (EVS) before I started university. It's basically volunteering, but the EU pays for your travel, accomodation and you get an allowance.

https://ec.europa.eu/youth/youth-in-...service_en.htm

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

For people going to/living in Canada, there's SWAP I've gone through them twice to live in Ireland for a year, and now the UK for two years! They have loads of programs for different countries, and great support services. I've met a lot of friends through it, and had an absolute blast both times! (Might be slightly biased since I met my SO on the first program, and moved in with him on the other one!)

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
          Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by kteire View Post
            For people going to/living in Canada, there's SWAP I've gone through them twice to live in Ireland for a year, and now the UK for two years! They have loads of programs for different countries, and great support services. I've met a lot of friends through it, and had an absolute blast both times! (Might be slightly biased since I met my SO on the first program, and moved in with him on the other one!)
            That sounds cool! What kind of work do you do? Is it paid, or do you go as a volunteer? I would love to go to Ireland or the UK! I'm approaching my late 20s, though, so I don't know if I am too old for a program like that.

Comment

Does anyone know of a program to work in the UK? Preferably Scotland? Or a program for people in the UK to work in the US? Thanks!

Comment

Ooo, I also am fishing for some info--for all you work abroad people, does anyone know if any good programs for working abroad in Ireland for a U.S. citizen? I'd have a place to stay, and I'd prefer to be in Galway, but I just thought I'd ask for some general tips.

Thanks a million in advance!
                "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

I'm hoping that with my nursing degree, in the third year, I can go to Denmark as part of the Erasmus project. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and the tutor who mentioned it to me told me one day that our university has a connection with a hospital over there for exchange students. Danish students have come to my university to study and students from my university have gone over there. I really hope that I can go there in 2014, it would be a dream come true.

I need to start looking about projects involving exchange students to the US. Anyone know of any, that would befit a nursing student? I personally don't know where to start looking.

Comment

Yeah im also trying to look up on work abroad programs to the US, preferably around the Portland or Sacramento areas. The (very) limited research ive done so far seems to pick up that some schemes require you to have graduated within the past year, but not too many. I could still take advantage of those, but timing's the issue as my girl is likely moving next October.

Can anyone push me in the direction of some work abroad schemes? Id be ok to work the full 12-18 months (whatever it is), would quite like to live with her for a year or so next year, and there's the possibility she might come to live with me for her Masters the year after.

Early days yet and all that, but would be nice to find out our options. Be amazing if we could figure out a way for working/study visas to allow us a good 2 years together before we looked at fully closing the distance.

Comment

For US citizens who would like to work in Australia, Ireland, or New Zealand, or intern in the UK check out BUNAC https://www.bunac.org/ They also offer programs for UK citizens who would like to work in the USA. I personally haven't done the program myself, but I know people who have - but to do it you need to be an undergrad with at least a year of study under your belt or have graduated very recently. There used to be an option for USCs to work in the UK, but dunno what happened to that..

Another option is Au Pair. https://www.aupair.com/ You live with a host family and help take care of the house work and look after children while receiving a small stipend.

A few questions to those looking for work in the UK.. are you looking for part-time or full-time work? Are you still in university or have you already graduated? Are you looking for work long-term or for a short period? These are also things to think about..

To EnglishMan - is she moving somewhere else in the US or to the UK? (My guess from your post was to somewhere else in the US, but just wanted to make sure.)

Comment

Originally posted by pink elephant View Post
                        To EnglishMan - is she moving somewhere else in the US or to the UK? (My guess from your post was to somewhere else in the US, but just wanted to make sure.)
                        Good guess , yeah she's got her mind set on moving down to Cali (that's where she's always visualised herself being), so yeah she would be just moving elsewhere in the US.

Comment

Ah, right. Sorry, I got confused since you mentioned that she would be moving then mentioning she'd be moving to the UK to possibly complete a masters.. so I thought both were in reference to her moving to the UK.

You could try your hand at getting a J-1 visa. https://j1visa.state.gov/
                          It's known as the "Exchange Visitor Program" to promote cultural exchange between international visitors and the United States. You find a sponsor organization to apply on your behalf - many of which may be through a government agency, cultural or educational organization, academic institution, or even corporations. It may be possible to get a visa to last for 12-18 months, but all of that is dependent on the organization with whom you applied.

However.. if you were to do this (working in the US on a J-1), keep in mind you wouldn't be able to return to the US for two years after completing your time on your chosen program. I don't know exactly why this is, but my guess is to prevent people from overstaying their visas and remaining to live and work.

At any rate, check out the huge list of designated sponsor organizations and explore the kind of work/intern/volunteer programs they have. They might have something for you that won't require a J-1 visa - then you wouldn't have to worry about not being able to come back to the US for a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by pink elephant View Post
                            Ah, right. Sorry, I got confused since you mentioned that she would be moving then mentioning she'd be moving to the UK to possibly complete a masters.. so I thought both were in reference to her moving to the UK.

You could try your hand at getting a J-1 visa. https://j1visa.state.gov/
                            It's known as the "Exchange Visitor Program" to promote cultural exchange between international visitors and the United States. You find a sponsor organization to apply on your behalf - many of which may be through a government agency, cultural or educational organization, academic institution, or even corporations. It may be possible to get a visa to last for 12-18 months, but all of that is dependent on the organization with whom you applied.

However.. if you were to do this (working in the US on a J-1), keep in mind you wouldn't be able to return to the US for two years after completing your time on your chosen program. I don't know exactly why this is, but my guess is to prevent people from overstaying their visas and remaining to live and work.

At any rate, check out the huge list of designated sponsor organizations and explore the kind of work/intern/volunteer programs they have. They might have something for you that won't require a J-1 visa - then you wouldn't have to worry about not being able to come back to the US for a couple years.
                            Apologies, you're actually right about that too :P. To try and un-confuse things, basically she is aiming to be in and around California for a couple of years from next summer, and then would possibly be looking at doing a Masters over here in say 3 years time. Obviously that's a ways away, and although it would be for our benefit too, she's liked the idea of spending a year in the UK anyways, so it's likely something she'll look at regardless.

Thanks for all of that . I had no idea about not being able to return to the US for 2 years if I had been there on a J-1 visa, learn something new everyday. For us, ideally she'd be over here for study for a year afterwards, so it wouldn't be so huge a deal not being able to go back to her for a bit. Had a look round yesterday and there seem to be quite a few volunteer-based schemes which would be great. Most of the things I researched seems to be a slight gamble money-wise but would be worth it!

Comment

I don't know how helpful this is to any of you, but check out https://jobs.goabroad.com/ you just pick the country you want and it'll show you the options that are available (make a note some may charge you a fee to work).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                              X