Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International health insurance (US citizen going to NZ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International health insurance (US citizen going to NZ)

I am planning to apply for a working holiday visa to spend a year in New Zealand. I am going to need health insurance coverage for the duration of my stay. The only option I've been able to find through my limited Google searching has been through Cigna. Does anyone else have any experience with this and can recommend a company? I have quite a few prescription medications that I would like to stay on while I'm there, but can't afford to pay an arm and a leg. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

I have my health insurance through IMG Insurance. I have the "Global Medical Long Term Insurance" but they have shorter travel insurances too. It's expensive though, as insurance usually is. I can't remember how much but you can get a quote online. I haven't had to use it really so I don't know how "good" it is. I will say that they are really easy to reach by phone, so that is nice. For me, it's an in-case-of-emergencies thing. So I chose a really high deductible meaning I don't use my insurance for things like prescriptions and such. Have you asked your SO to check into some prescrip. prices in NZ? I don't know how it is there but here, they are much more affordable than in the US.

Comment

I want to know the same thing! Friends I've spoken to who've done working holidays have used WorldNomads but I don't know what country that's limited to.
      As for medicines, I live in NZ and depending what you get, it's not too expensive even without government subsidy. But yeah it does depend on the type and brand vs generic etc etc.

Comment

check out travelguard.com for their travel insurance plans, i got them when i first went to canada and paid only $75 for 2 months worth of coverage (prices can change depending on where you go).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Question: do you have insurance currently?

Comment

I do - through my job, which I will be quitting. It's United Healthcare.

Comment

Thanks all. I ended up going with World Nomads (if anyone is interested for their own reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by stephanieaz View Post
                Thanks all. I ended up going with World Nomads (if anyone is interested for their own reasons).
                Awesome, I'll be using them too!

Comment

Working...
                X