Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadians: Best way to pay for a year of school in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadians: Best way to pay for a year of school in Canada?

This goes for anyone really, but I am a little lost on the best way to pay for a year of schooling in Canada. Needless to say, I can't pay for it out of pocket, so that's a no-go. I seem to have read there isn't much of any form of financial aid that is available for international students in Canada (Ontario, specifically. I am wanting to go to Humber.) I am from the States, and will be graduating with a bachelor degree in about a year or so. I am wanting to go to Humber afterwards and take their computer programming course, which is a hefty $20k for us international students.

For anyone who has studied abroad before, especially in Canada, what is the best way to go about paying for this? Would I have to get the loans from the States, or could I apply for them up in Canada? Thanks again.

International tuition is a killer. I'd suggest you contact Humber directly and ask them if they have any forms of financial aid for non-residents. Alternatively, you can look at colleges in the States that offer an exchange program or a study abroad program. As far as I know these programs link to Universities and Humber is a college so I'm not sure if you could find an exchange program. York, University of Toronto and Ryerson are good options too. You'll have to dig a little deeper and ask them directly. Good luck!
    “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

Well..., Ontario is an "expensive" province for school but even then my cousins only pay 5k for their BA at U of T while I paid about 3k.

I'd suggest contacting the department (probably computer science) and ask of they have any scholarships or forms of aid for international students then I'd contact the school.

If anything you'd have to take out a private loan (I don't recommend d) in fact I wouldn't recommend taking out a 20k loan for a program that isn't highly recognised even with Canada. I think it would ROI. Have you considered any other options such as a 1 year work visa?

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
        Well..., Ontario is an "expensive" province for school but even then my cousins only pay 5k for their BA at U of T while I paid about 3k.

I'd suggest contacting the department (probably computer science) and ask of they have any scholarships or forms of aid for international students then I'd contact the school.

If anything you'd have to take out a private loan (I don't recommend d) in fact I wouldn't recommend taking out a 20k loan for a program that isn't highly recognised even with Canada. I think it would ROI. Have you considered any other options such as a 1 year work visa?
        Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it's a pretty hefty tuition (wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't an international student), and I thought about a one year work visa. I am trying to get up there for at least a year so we could work on doing the whole common-law partnership and being able to get me up there and live, legally and permanently. (Since that is what I want to do. I didn't only fall in love with him, but the city as well.) What do you recommend for work visas? The only thing that comes to mind is the SWAP program.

Comment

Good luck! I was in a similar position but instead of a United States citizen wanting to study in Canada.. I'm a Canadian citizen and I wanted to study in the UK.. international tuition is expensive everywhere by the looks of things, and there aren't much for international loan programs.. I think the 1 year work visa might be a better plan. Or do all your schooling in the USA and then come to Canada on a work visa. It sucks but there's only so much you can do. My SO and I decided were were better off studying our degrees in our own countries. I MIGHT be able to do a study abroad year there for my 3rd or 4th year but I'm not sure yet. After we both graduate we will be able to make more money which is really the key in our success in closing the distance.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.. I just wanted to post to say I know how you feel.. in a way.. and I wish you all the luck in the world to close your distance with your SO as soon as possible!

Comment

To pay for schooling up in Canada with financial aid, you have to apply for the aid in the US through a US source. When I went to school up in Canada (i'm from the US) i got student loans and i had to find student loans that would pay for international schooling and specifically the school I was going to (I went to sheridan in oakville, ontario for finance). Check out FAFSA to see if they'll pay for you to go to Humber. I will note here when I was finishing up my schooling (2011) FAFSA and a lot of the student loan places were really limiting the schools in Canada they are willing to help pay for (they got rid of a lot of the colleges and have more universities then anything else). If you have any questions at all feel free to ask as i've been in your situation before .

Also I agree with the computer programming comment above, I started my schooling in computer programming but switched as all my teachers were telling me if you don't get a degree in programming it's hard to find jobs, so you'd eventually need to transfer or continue your studies at a university for it to count. Up in Canada if you graduate from a college you get a certificate and not a degree.
            Last edited by Riyko; June 16, 2013, 11:25 AM.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I'm in a very similar situation. I'm transferring to York for winter term to be closer to my SO so we can sort out me moving there permanently. I absolutely fell in love with Toronto when I stayed there for a month. It feels like my second home! I'm leaning more towards York because of their children studies program. I also know that York is supported by FAFSA so I can be covered. I've done way more research on York than I have U of T or Humber, but from what I understand Humber is a college. I'm not sure if FAFSA will cover it because it's not a university and I was told that getting international loans for a college is more difficult than a university. Why not try transferring to a university? We're really hoping it happens on the first try and I'm working really hard to maintain my GPA, but we both understand that I may not be accepted. If not then I'll try again for spring term. Either way, it's better to know 100% that I'll be financially covered vs going to college, getting automatically accepted, then struggling a lot more financially.

Take a look into program prerequisites and transfer requirements. It's worth being covered financially and aside from the application fee, it really doesn't hurt to try. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X