Snow seasons away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow seasons away

My boyfriend is a snowboarding instructor, we met a couple years ago in college and since then he's travelled a lot and when he got back to Scotland we got together and have been together for only six months. I've known for the whole time that his intention was to do a season away, but now it's got to the stage where it's too late for him to find a job anywhere nearby in Europe or something where I thought he would be, which is quite easy to get to for me to visit. But the other day, he'd been acting strange and he told me that he's thinking about moving to New Zealand (literally the opposite side of the world) and he can only get a visa to live there for two years.
    I don't know what to say, I don't know what to do and how to react. I know that six months doesn't seem like a lot of time to anyone but I can't go back to how my life was before I met him. He's the only thing in my life that makes everything else make sense, and even though I know that if he did go that far away that we would still be able to talk and that I would never completely lose him, but I don't even want to think about him not being here for me anymore.
    I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible at all for there to be a way that I can have a future with him, or have a long distance relationship with someone so far away, and if not then how I am supposed to deal with it?
    I just have no idea who to talk to about this, and I hope that someone can help

Originally posted by RachelEva View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible at all for there to be a way that I can have a future with him, or have a long distance relationship with someone so far away, and if not then how I am supposed to deal with it?
    Just wanted to point out that there are loads of "success stories" on here. There are some of us that have been on here for 3+ years, and are STILL LD, others have since closed the distance, some relationships have ended, some are still going strong.

Absolutely it can work, if both of you are committed to making it work.

ETA: As for the number of miles in between, eh. It's only a number. I can think of a few couples that have (or had) relationships that are on opposite sides of the world. At least one of them has a baby now.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

It really depends if you both can work with the distance and the time apart, and are committed to each other.

My partner is in New Zealand, and I'm in the eastern United States, so we're on opposite sides of the world. It sucks. Plane tickets are ridiculously expensive, it takes almost a full day or more to fly there (because of layovers and whatnot) and there are times when it just feels totally futile.

But my partner is one of the most caring, patient, incredible men I've ever met, and we're in it together. It's something we've talked about, and still bring up now and then. How to deal with the distance, how to make it a little easier, etc.

Any distance is hard, but really long distances add those extra annoyances like more expensive flights, etc.. so you definitely should talk to him about what he wants and what you want and whether it's compatible.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X