Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Turkish VISA/credit card

Hi,

I will be studying abroad part time this year - well, sort of. I plan to stay with SO in Turkey one week a month (longer on holidays) from May to November, to live with him and to read and write on my thesis. We will split the costs for the flat and groceries. I am thinking if it would be good for me to get connected to a Turkish bank. Will it pay if I am there more often? My VISA and credit cards work just fine in Turkey, so I don't have to do it. But perhaps there will be some benifits to linking myself more up to Turkey. As it is I guess pay extra since it is an international withdrawel. For a single travel that is not important, but when I will use cards more it might add up.

Also, we need to figure out a way to pay for the flat. I guess he will be listed as renting the place, while I will cover most of the cost. I have only transferred money to him once before, through Western Union, which was ok but a bit expensive. I guess I could always pay him in cash when I am there, but I was thinking maybe it would be good if I transfered monthly from my Norwegian account, or perhaps via a Turkish account if I got one, or perhaps we should have some accounts together. He insists on chipping in on the pay, otherwise I guess I could have payed the landlord directly. Any tips will be appreciated
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

I think you'd probably have more luck on a forum for foreigners/expats in Turkey.

When I lived in Poland I used an online exchange service that let me transfer € from my German account into PLN on my Polish account for a much better rate than if I had just transfered it through my bank directly. I don't know if there's a similar thing you could use, though.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

The reason why I ask is that I remember that some people in here who study and travel a lot reported that they do that. As I recall there were some who found it was useful, while others did not bother. I shall keep the online account in mind and see if I can find something similar, thanks.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Here in CR you have to be a resident or citizen to open a bank account. So yeah, I'd suggest asking an expat Turkey forum.

Comment

In Chile you have to have a TRV (Temporary Residence Visa such as working or studying) or a PRV (Permanent Residence Visa) to open a bank account or of course citizenship. I agree with the above suggestions to look on an expat turkish forum as someone there would know better because they've gone through the process themselves. Good luck

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I looked at some extripat pages and it seems it is a bit uncertain weather you have to have recidency papers. Everybody agreed you have to get a foreigners tax number, though.

I also found an international page that claims it can move your money for a very small fee. I hope it is safe though.

Comment

I talked to one of the biggest banks, and they said I have to have "proof of connections" to Turkey, that is; house rental contract, bill from phone company or similar. They will also need papers of recidency from the police, but I think I can get that IF I have the same "proof of connections". Our current house rental contract is in the name of SO only, I wonder if we shall change that for next or keep it like it is. I wanted to get connected to Turkcell (Turkey's biggest phone company) but I asked and I will have to get a seperate phone for that and I think it is a bit too complicated and expensive (originally I thought I could save money doing that). I really wanted to be sure I can pay by card everywhere - but now SO says that people actually prefer to be payed in cash (here in Norway cash is seen as liability, there has even been debates if people should be "allowed" to pay in cash in the future, so I was a bit surprised with the loving attitude towards cash), so maybe I will just withdraw larger ammounts and rather pay in cash if that is what people want.

Comment

I don't know if this is helpful but I think paypal gives you the opportunity to send money cheaply aswell? I guess most use it just as a payment for orders, but there are actually lots of other options to use it. One of my friends uses it for something simliar.. i think. I am not 100 percent sure but it's just a thought and maybe something worth looking into.

Comment

Ah, the biggest reason I wanted a cheap money transfer was that I thought I would pay our flat rent to SO each month. Turns out the insane rent customs where we live means people pay 6-12 months rent up front, that is not even tecnically easy to do as you can only withdraw so much money at a day, but we did manage to pay 6 months rent before summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X