Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Afghanistan

Hello everyone

Recently my boyfriend left to work on an army base in Afghanistan. His employer is a contractor for the military and he'll be working in IT while he's there. Up until he left two weeks ago we'd never been apart for longer than a week. I'm worried for his safety and his well-being in general. His contract is for a year, though he's going to try to use his vacation to come back to the States in December.

Right now, I just have one particular question in mind: Would it be possible to visit him while he's there? I don't know what base in particular he's going to. It would be the most amazing surprise if I could pull it off.

Also, I apologize if I've posted in the wrong section. My situation is kind of a blend between work abroad and military...

I wouldn't think so. Military locations are classified. This is so other people don't find out where they are staying and attack their base.

In addition, you would need military clearance to even visit a place like that.
    Afghanistan is on the Do Not Travel List, you will not be able to get travel insurance.

I'm sorry this post isn't more positive. If there were a way to do it, I would say go for it. Being in the military makes things complicated. Stay positive. The military really does all it can to keep their people safe!

Comment

First off, HEY! I noticed we are from the same area. My SO used to be in the military and when he left he wanted to get a job with a contractor so that he could go back overseas to one of the countries in the middle east to work because the pay is amazing. The pay is great but, I would have worried about his safety day and night. He eventually decided not to pursue a contracting job over there but, I can tell you that when we were discussing how things would go between us if he did go over there he told me that I wouldn't be allowed to visit. I guess because of all the security restrictions in those countries and how dangerous it is. Until then you will just have to hold on until he is able to visit unfortunately. Keep yourself busy and time will pass quickly.

Met Online: 02/2012
      Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
      First Met in person: 09/22/2012
      Started Dating: 10/30/2012
      Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

My son just retired from the Navy several months ago. At one point he was stationed for a year, as IT, in the Middle East. He said they were very strict, and there were certain places they were not allowed to go, and some places they were not allowed to wear their uniforms, because of the political ramifications. It was for their own safety.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

That makes a lot of sense--the high level of security and all that. I've been trying to stay busy; I'm picking up a second job and taking online classes during the summer. I worry about him all the time and that's the hardest part. He said the internet on base isn't very good so we're not sure if Skype will be a viable option to talk. I was thinking of using eyejot. Has anyone ever used it?

Kayla_622, we are! That's an amazing coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Superkoala View Post
            That makes a lot of sense--the high level of security and all that. I've been trying to stay busy; I'm picking up a second job and taking online classes during the summer. I worry about him all the time and that's the hardest part. He said the internet on base isn't very good so we're not sure if Skype will be a viable option to talk. I was thinking of using eyejot. Has anyone ever used it?

Kayla_622, we are! That's an amazing coincidence.
            You could also write letters. Receiving something physical from your SO in the mail is the best thing when you can't actually see each other. I'm not sure if he would be able to but you could send him care packages too.

Met Online: 02/2012
            Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
            First Met in person: 09/22/2012
            Started Dating: 10/30/2012
            Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

He's settled in on base and was able to get me an address. I was planning to send a goofy care package once I can get a box and collect the items I want to send.

Thank you everyone for your quick replies

Comment

Hello, my ♥ is working as a contractor in afgah, you can go to visit him to dubai, thats the best place (safe) or option that you guys have for a short visit. Some of them visit places like phillipines but not safety at all.
                Hope my advice help you.
                I have been waitting for him since march 2013, when he came to US for vacations but poor guy is a very long way too many hrs flying, and a lot of $ in flights. He is been there for more than 5 years i cant wait to finally be with him in december ♥♥
                Worth it!!! Keep the faith

Comment

Working...
                X