Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My nerves are getting the best of me, I could really use some advise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My nerves are getting the best of me, I could really use some advise!

My boyfriend of 2 years got accepted into a university in Aberdeen Scotland for his masters. Right now we both live in our own places in Toronto but he will be leaving in less than a month now. I am so terrified of losing him. I have only ever had bad experiences with long distance relationships and this one will be the farthest! I know I have insecurities and trust issues..I'm trying my hardest to overcome them but I feel like they are in full force right now because of my fear of him leaving and me being along. We spend every possible moment together and I'm so scared to go a year without him. I graduate in April so if I can save up enough I can see him just 5 months after he leaves but can we make it that long? I'm trying so hard to stay positive but all I want to do is cry - I'm going to miss him so much! Please leave some comment, tips, tricks or advice, anything will help! Thanks you so much!!

Have a search through the forums, there are tons and tons of threads with the same sorts of issues and concerns.

There is no way to sugar coat it, you are going get lonely, you are going to feel alone at times; and the same will be for your BF.

Just because he is going somewhere else does not mean he is going to suddenly cheat, and so you have to trust him 100%, the same goes for him for you.

always look forwards and to not dwell on the negatives, and it is easier.... it is still tough, but 5 months is not that long really. If you only think about how badly you miss him, and not the other positive aspects then it can kill a relationship, mine nearly did for that very reason - and we were both as guilty as each other.

Comment

You really need to find something other in your life to keep you occupied. Because not only will he be far away, but he will be busy with his studies. I suggest you find a way to buy your ticket early, then you can both have the countdown while you work and wait. Everyone has their own way of coping, I use Skype, Viber and letter writing/being crafty. I have also been in a LD that did not work out, but then I was naive and thought love would overcome all. In here you will actually learn skills on how to cope. Best of luck!
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I agree with the other two posts.

I myself never got put in the situation of the SO moving away for a while.
        My relationship started as a long distance one, as did so many others on this site. We couldn't be together and spend every waking moment together.
        It's been two years for me like. And he is just graduating his master's program as we speak.

If you two started this relationship together, and you two know how much you care for one another, then both of you are going to find ways to make it work.
        A year to you sounds like a lot right now, I know. But believe me when I say it'll go by so much quicker than expected, especially if you keep your focus on other activities. Your work, hobbies, friends, family.
        There are going to be very low and dark moments when all you do is miss him and wish you were together, but that will pass.

You have to trust each other, and communicate. I cannot stress how important that is in a LDR.
        But don't expect to be able to talk every single day. He is going to get busy with school, and the time difference will add to the difficulty as well.
        I think it will take a few weeks to adjust to everything and find your guys' routine.

Just make sure you talk everything out with him and make things clear of what you guys want.

I think you'll be fine. But good luck with it. Keep us updated
        sigpic
        Met August 2012
        Official Nov. 18 2012
        Visited him in Italy August 8 2013
        He's visiting April 7-28 2014
        I visited: Aug. 26-Sept. 25 2014

Comment

Working...
        X