Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being selfish?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, so I'm sorry if this topic has already been written about, I just really would love some advice and maybe to know that some people are experiencing the same thing as me. Basically, my boyfriend and I have been together almost a year, and I know it is extremely cheesy to say (and unbelievable to most people considering we are in college) but meeting each other was the whole love at first sight situation and we both know we are going to spend our lives together.
    My boyfriend is originally from Russia, so he was very passionate about the idea of going there for a study abroad program this spring, for which he left about 6 weeks ago. I supported him whole-heartedly and we both are committed, so there is no fear of future break-ups or anything, the issue I am having is mainly with myself and my mindset. I was supposed to have back surgery in April, so this semester I moved back home (even though it is very close to our schools) and had to sign up for online classes since I would be in recovery for part of the semester. However, now that I am home most of the day dealing with school work and the stress of pain, I am feeling myself becoming slowly resentful of my boyfriend. I love him to pieces and would never want him to be miserable all the time during his study abroad, but hearing about the amazing times he is having, he says he has never fit into a place better and is having a religious experience, makes me feel a little angry. I know I am probably pitying myself since I am dealing with my back which has stopped me from really doing much activity and having a social life, but am I horrible person? I love him and do not want to spend the next 5 months annoyed with him having fun, has anyone else experienced this before?

Thank you so much for any help or advice you might have!!

So this is definitely a combo recovering from surgery and LDR problem. When I was recovering from surgery I was jealous of everyone because they could do things I couldnt. You're envious of your SO because he's having a great time and you're having a shitty time.

Not sure what kind of surgery you had, but you could look into seeing a therapist. I probably should have seen one to deal with my emotions.

If you don't think its that serious then you're just going to have to deal with it. You can try to keep yourself busy but if you're bed-ridden that could be pretty tough. Maybe try to plan a trip for the future? That always makes me happy.

Comment

Working...
    X