Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help for my valentine's day letter/mail

Hi everyone

I already posted a thread where I asked if I should send my SO something for ValDay. The thing is I'm not celebrating this day..but I decided to send my bf a letter or e-mail.. Unfortunately English is not my 1st language.Iin addition, I have never wrote a ValDay letter to someone,so I have no idea what to write.. I know you will say now that I should just write how I feel about him and that he means a lot to me, but I have no idea how to reword it, so that it don't sound boring or to direct..puh maybe you could give me some example sentences.. lol
    Thanks

(English is not my 1st language either but I'll try to do my best)

I know what it is like not being able to say how you feel in words! It's having too much to say and just no sentence seems good enough. I am not sure how much you like to write... I like it a lot but I'm pretty bad at love letters, so I wrote a small story to him using metaphors that referred to our relationship. We are both a lot into storytelling so I think he'll love it.

You could also go with telling him which things make you think of him....from the obvious (like let's say the moon), to the little details nobody can see...in my case for example, the color blue. Or perhaps go with talking about a few things you do when you think of him. I for example wrote to him telling how I like whispering his name every morning. It sounds too cheesy when said too direct, so you may prefer to name these as if they were normal things... I don't know, maybe something like: "This morning, as every day, I woke up thinking of you and decided to write something for you."

I don't know :P you could start recalling a memory or some quote, maybe something he said to you that made your heart skip a beat sometime?

I made a letter to my SO for this Valentine's and I'll send it tomorrow morning. An e-mail would've worked too but I decided to make an old-looking letter, with brownish paper, good calligraphy and even a wax seal. I know he really loves old stuff so this was the perfect occasion for it and I just had to do it!

I'm a bit too cheesy when it comes to writing but I hope it's still a bit helpful.

Comment

oh yes it is..thank you soo much :*
      it's just that on the one side I don't want to be too cheesy but on the other side want him to feel loved and special. I wrote him once a poem where I wrote what I miss about him.he said that it brought a tear in his eyes..
      well I can't write another one.. but your ideas are pretty good. If you may have more I'll be thankful

Comment

I've been brought up bilingual, so if you want you can PM what you would want to write in German and I'll translate for you

Comment

haha thank you. it's just that I need an idea.. I don't know what I would even write in German lol

Comment

I know this might not be what you wated to hear, but I'm going to write it anyway.

Just do it. It doesn't matter that English isn't your first language or that there are going to be mistakes or whatever. If you're unsure about how to word something, put it in google. That's what I do, when I'm not sure about a construction and it works really well.

My boyfriend and I usually communicate in his first language, which isn't my first language. I know that I make some mistakes, especially when I write, but so what?
            And I love it, when he says or send me things in German. He uses some very odd/funny construction sometimes and he does make mistakes, but it's really really cute and knowing he went through the effort of writing in a foreign language makes it even more special and personal.
            Write what you appreciate about him, about a situation that you remember as very special, about future plans, how you feel when you're with(out) him,...
            Love letters from a person you love are never boring, even if the write the same stuff over and over again. Hell, if my boyfriend wrote me a letter that just said "I love you" 100x times, I'd still be happy about it.

It's also a funny thing to read through later, when you're more proficient in the language. My old Polish notes never fail to make me smile.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

yes you're right. I will try.. I started to write something,but it's sounds a bit to direct and maybe too much lol.. After Tuesday (my test) I will have some more time and be maybe more creative and write a wonderful letter hehe

Comment

Someting that works for me is talking to him to get more in the mood :P You could call it "inspiration". Then as Dziubka said, just do it and don't worry about repeating.

You could also start on why this Valentine's day will be special. Although you will maybe not celebrate, I bet you'll think of him and you could tell him so.

If you want him to feel special, take things that are very personal or characteristic of your relation, so it sounds like something written specially to him and not to anyone else, although don't be afraid of using one or two clichés.

By the way, it's awesome you wrote him a poem!

Comment

the thing is we're not talking..or skyping.. and we barely chat,because he is always busy with work..

I will write a few lines so I have something.. I don't want to overdo with my words and then he hasn't prepared anything fo me. I just have the feeling that I'm always doing more for him than he is for me..

Comment

Originally posted by lala View Post
                    the thing is we're not talking..or skyping.. and we barely chat,because he is always busy with work..

I will write a few lines so I have something.. I don't want to overdo with my words and then he hasn't prepared anything fo me. I just have the feeling that I'm always doing more for him than he is for me..
                    Oh I see... perhaps then you should just go with how you feel and not think too much about it or on how to say it. Sometimes that seems more honest than something beautifully said but overly thought. Just make it very personal and he'll love it, and it won't be anything too extravagant.

Comment

I still have no idea
                      I have a draft where I wrote that he is with me in my heart and soul,that I miss him and that he is special.. anything else?gosh I'm so bad in expressing my feelings

Comment

aaah I think I'm gonna write a story about us,how we met..something like this: once upon a time..

Comment

Working...
                        X