Newb at Writing Letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb at Writing Letters

So I am a a sort of clutz when it comes to my literary abillity so I need some advice.

I want to send her a letter and some chocolate for our one month, but Im a bit stuck on what to write. I was going for something sort of comical and not too cheesy.

Any tips from the pros?

Well, I haven't written many letters, but I AM a good creative writer, so I guess that'd count for something. My SO and me are also close to out one month (tomorrow actually) and I'm struggling myself to write the leter I'm going to include in her christmas present; mainly because we talk all day ad there's not much that we haven't already talked about. At least that's how it feeels.

Anyway, the chocolate makes me think that maybe you could write something chcolate related?
    Or would that be considered too cheesy? Neither me nor my SO have any problems with cheesy - sometimes it's more like the pposite realy - so I'm no sure how much help I can be in avoiding that, but try writing the first draft really from the heart. Think about what you feel when seeing her for the first time in a day and try to pu that on paper or something like that, and then read it through and maybe edit the bits that you think ar to cheesy. And about the comical, you could say something along the lines of (and I actually said this to my SO just a few hours ago) "If there was a zombie outbreak and I had no chance of survival, I'd want you to eat my brains".

I hope that mess of writing above helped you a little, a least. Good luck with your letter writing

Comment

With the risk of this reply being similar to Inspirement's post, my only advice is to not think and just let the words flow. 13 months into my relationship I can write pages and pages to my SO, sometimes they're a little cheesy but most of the time the rambling tones it down and it becomes funny while it still is meaningful. When I don't know how to start I mostly look out the window, write about the weather and what we'd be doing if we were together (eg. snowball fight, chasing eachother in the rain, water war, walks and so on) or about a new recipe that I'd like to try on him. I'm sure that you will have written a minor essay before you've realized it once you get started Good luck!
      We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Me and my SO also just began dating we've been together since October and in the 2 months since I last saw him I've sent him about 2 letters a week. Writing is very therapeutic for me apparently. Since it is still new I didn't want to write anything over the top (ex: these are the reasons I love you and we should get married kind of stuff) so I kept it funny and super light. Told him about what was going on in my life, my crazy friends, stuff I would see or hear about that reminded me of him, songs I've been listening to, how school is going and work and included some of our inside jokes. I love getting to know people and I play this game I call 21 questions when I first meet someone to get to know them, so I would write him questions like what's your favourite movie, favourite colour, where you want to travel the most, what you're most afraid of, most cherished possession, what would you do if you won the lottery.. stuff along those lines that can help you get to know the person. I also made alot of lists, I wrote him all about the stuff we will do when he comes to visit (3 days!!!) and what life changes would occur when I eventually move down there (Where am I going to find Canadian beer in Texas??). Hope this helps a little, writing letters is of course something super personal and need some inspiration; some days I can write for hours and other days I try but end up throwing out like 3 half written letters, so make sure it's a day you feel particularly inspired and good luck
        Met: July 2002
        Said "I Love You"s: October 2012
        Hopefully closing the distance: April 2013

She said you make me better boy, I just mailed you a letter boy, and oh, so you know, I'm still in your sweater boy.

Comment

I also have a question...
          I don't really want to use regular lined paper because it looks so cheap, but the old yellowish looking paper does not have lines and I need those to write straight...
          Any ideas how to fix this?
          "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

Originally posted by SJ22 View Post
            I don't really want to use regular lined paper because it looks so cheap, but the old yellowish looking paper does not have lines and I need those to write straight...
            If the paper without the lines is thin enough just lay it over a piece of paper with lines. You can use it as a guid"line" haha pun.

Comment

When writing letters, I would just let the thoughts flow! Chances are your SO will appreciate it no matter what. You can always put cute little notes are drawings: it's the effort, and thought that counts

Comment

Originally posted by SJ22 View Post
                Stain the lined paper with tea, it'll give it an aged look. Normally you find fairly nice lined paper at places with office supplies.
                We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Working...
                X