I hate that he is a better writer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate that he is a better writer!

So, I absolutely love doing traditional snail mail with my SO. It's kind of fun to think that if we stick this out, we have something tangible to keep for the future to share with kids/grandkids/whatever. Like those old WW2 love letters.

The problem I run into, I get these letters from him that are super eloquent and just beautiful. And mine feel like hurrr duurrr I miss youuu.

It's not that I can't express how I feel, it's just that - his command of the poetry of language is so much better than mine. I tend to be much more of a straight shooter.

Any suggestions on how I can improve my letters?

I used to be a much more romantic writer when I was younger. Getting my MA really beat that out of me - say what I will say, say it, say what I said: point a, b, c

(he's a better academic writer than me too - REALLY not fair!)

Hmmm.... I feel the same way about my writing, although my boyfriend says he enjoys my letters I just feel like they're so bland and blah. It's difficult for me sometimes to write down my feelings or express my love on a piece of paper so I end up saying the same thing over and over I feel. I've looked up tips and tricks on how to write a good love letter but then I feel as though they are too cheesy, even for me, and I LOVE writing cheesy letters, so I eventually gave up and just continue writing the way I do. What if you take some sort of free online creative writing/poetry course or something that will allow you to practice? I'm sure there are plenty of videos on YouTube about creative writing and love letters or free online courses for it

Comment

Don't compare yourself to your SO! Your love letters are special to him because you express your love to him in your words and ways and his are special to you, because he does the same for you! If he got the exact same letter he sent you, it would not be as significant, because it would be missing the "you" in it.

What you can do to improve your writing is to practice a lot, I suppose. Write a couple different versions before you send it to him, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. My husband is a writer, he is very poetic and very articulate and so are his cards and letters, but he enjoys my amateurish letters and cards, because they show me as I am - quirky and weird - and he appreciates that much more than if I wrote him a letter that has nothing from my personality.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

You know actually I love what Snow says. Don't compare yourself. I mean if you want to improve your vocabulary a bit then read some more too. Instead of focusing so much on posterity, though, be in the moment. Don't write and think critically how great-grandchildren are going to perceive these communications. You don't want to clean up your writing so much that it no longer actually reflects you as an individual.

Maybe this is part of this kind of Pinterest/Etsy culture we've got going on now that everyone wants to clean themselves up for the world and hide all these fabulous "flaws," these lovely intricacies that we all inhabit. I'm not much one for writing for the generations. I used to be but then realized I really didn't care lol so now I write for me. I write for him, and right now I'm writing for you. I have a quirkiness to my tone and if something is going to get passed down to descendants, I'd much rather it be a true reflection of who I am. We all have a unique voice and I'd hate to see you clean this up just to satisfy a bunch of people that are just twinkles in the universe right now besides! They may like your "ineloquent" ones better than his!
        "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

I agree with snow and merlinkitty, don't worry about it just be yourself and show your personality through your writing. My SO is not used to writing letters so his are usually shorter than mine, but I used to write to penpals so I have more practise though I am not good at creative writing, I love everything my SO writes and love all the romance and thought he puts into each letter. I know my SO loves everything I write because I show my personality and who I am in my words. If you would like to improve by taking poetry classes or creative writing classes then sure do that, just remember to stay true to who you are.

It's like I love scrapbooking but I enjoy using my handwriting when journalling about what each photo is and where it was, I think imperfections show we are only human and we don't need to be perfect, so I much more prefer traditional scrapbooking writing with pens and drawing than digital scrapbooking that is all printed and edited on a computer software, as well as it being fun to put my own personal stamp on my creations, than printing everything.
          Last edited by vicks5721; February 27, 2015, 04:11 PM.

Comment

hah, I have the same exact problem. He is amazing in writing love letters and knows me so well that his letters are always perfect. I'm trying to compose tons of different letters to open at different occasions for his b-day, but it's so hard! I feel like I repeat myself too often and can't really put how much he means to me into words. Good thing I still have time to work on these letters, and I know that he will appreciate them anyway!

Comment

haha I had that problem too, but after a few months of the relationship I guess I just learnt from him how to write romantic letters and that. But if you really want to improve on something the best way to do it is practise.

Comment

yes, I have lots of letter to write, so I'll get tons of practice But it's oh so nice to get all those nicely written letter that I don't mind that much being the one less romantic
                which sometimes bothers me as well- I hope that he doesn't mind me being less romantic and creative! :O

Comment

Working...
                X