I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

So, I still really like my idea, but I am telling you that it seemed absolutely epic at 4am when I couldn't sleep the other day...

Anyway, here goes! Remember that craft you all surely must have tried at some point in your life (most likely elementary school), where you traced your hand on paper, cut out the tracing, and decorated the hand (to look like an animal...a turkey is a common choice)? Well, I was thinking that this could be useful for a template to write love letters on or to enclose inside a letter.

I think one of the biggest things we all miss is touch and it doesn't have to necessarily be anything super sexy, just the intimacy of holding our loved one's hand is a thrilling idea. So, why not send a relatively accurate reminder of the size and shape of your hand (Oh, you! It doesn't have to be chunky and funny-shaped, like you made it as a child, I trust your fine motor coordination to guide you to tracing and drawing something aesthetic). You could cut out quite a few and, as I said, write your letter on them. Or, you could make the hand into a craft that mimics something about your hand: say, on one side you could do art work (something like a henna tattoo or painted in nail polish on the top or, underneath, you could try and draw in the lines of your hand and a rough sketch of your fingerprints). Then, on the other side, you could write interesting facts about hands, poems or lyrics about hands (the Beatles, anyone?), or what you would like to use your hands for the next time you see your SO (Oh, hey now! You could want to make them dinner with your hands. I don't know what you were thinking...<.<; ). (If you were super ambitious, you could make a plush of your hand with two pieces of felt, some thread, and stuffing, etc.--this is where you might want to make the tracing rather chunky to allow for seams). Finally, if you have a gift that is a small size, you could temporarily attach it to the hand somehow as a display; for instance, an LFAD bracelet would go nicely around the wrist.

That's a cute idea. ^_^ I love the idea of putting a henna design on the back!

I was thinking about sending my love a cast/mold of my hand for his birthday
    Like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1B7TLL91RZ1AS
    (This Casting Hand Kit is $30, but I did see some cheaper ones)
    At the craft store near me, Hobby Lobby, I've purchased liquid latex rubber to coat a reptile paper mache sculptor before. And that rubbery material is somewhat similar to skin- so I was considering after making a mold of my hand- to coat it with that. So when he touches the mold of my hand- he can feel skin. ^o^

Comment

I like both of these ideas but I think making a model of my hand would kind of creep my S.O. out even though I would like his hand.
      First date: 12.27.09
      Started the distance: 6.10.10
      Finished the distance: 8.17.12

J & C

Comment

I'd use our hands to massage him. Duh, of course!

What were YOU thinking of.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Or maybe you just want a hand to hold the deck when you play cards in hotel rooms
          First date: 12.27.09
          Started the distance: 6.10.10
          Finished the distance: 8.17.12

J & C

Comment

LOL! Yes, if he equates it to a severed hand- its not a good idea to send him a cast! Hahaha.

Comment

Well, that's some fun feedback. I had the feeling that it could get creepy with casts and such--but each to their own. There are certainly varying degrees you can take this to. I think that my partner is quite graceful hands from his piano playing, so if he made a plaster casting that was quite sculptural looking, it could be kind of neat to have up as art and he and I would know the secret of where it came from.

The liquid latex hand is maybe not for me, but I really like that idea of reptile skin (I can at least entertain the idea of making myself a dinosaur model, can't I? )

Comment

I did something sort of like this with my last letter, but I didn't cut it out. On the back of my letter, I traced my hand and then kept writting my letter around it. Then I decided to trace my hand in the ASL sign for I love you. When you wrote back, he had traced his hand as well. As pathetic as it sounds, I cry when I get letters from him because in my mind I think "This was just in his hands a few days ago, he touched this paper like I am now. If only I could put myself in an envelope and be where he is that easy..." So seeing his hand traced out made me blubber like an idiot. :')
                First conversation 11.5.09 First meeting 11.7.10 Closed the distance 5.14.14 Married 6.14.14

https://lovingfrom5000miles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 5000miles View Post
                  I did something sort of like this with my last letter, but I didn't cut it out. On the back of my letter, I traced my hand and then kept writting my letter around it. Then I decided to trace my hand in the ASL sign for I love you. When you wrote back, he had traced his hand as well. As pathetic as it sounds, I cry when I get letters from him because in my mind I think "This was just in his hands a few days ago, he touched this paper like I am now. If only I could put myself in an envelope and be where he is that easy..." So seeing his hand traced out made me blubber like an idiot. :')
                  5000miles, that's beautiful!!! What a great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah M View Post
                    5000miles, that's beautiful!!! What a great idea!
                    Thanks
                    First conversation 11.5.09 First meeting 11.7.10 Closed the distance 5.14.14 Married 6.14.14

https://lovingfrom5000miles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 5000miles View Post
                      This is so awesome! I've never thought about it like that before but now I surely will.

Comment

This is really cute!

Comment

I made a cast of Rane's hand on his first trip to visit me. It came out wonderfully, and I love it. I adore his hands, and this was just so cool.

Last edited by garnet; November 19, 2010, 11:48 PM.

Comment

A suggestion for something to write on the hand: A special recipe that you make together or you would like to make.

(sorry this thread is a little old, just saw it)

Comment

Working...
                            X